Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Seriously, I mean, I know we thought we had great OSes back in the 90's but you cannot do this! It just fails on so many levels. Sorry, just had to share this with someone.

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
he can with that powerbook of his.

Point 2. it is only a movie

Point 3. said movie fits into the science Fiction category, emphasis on the fiction part

Point 4. Just sit back, turn your brain Off of High gear and enjoy a good, entertaining movie

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Seriously, I mean, I know we thought we had great OSes back in the 90's but you cannot do this! It just fails on so many levels. Sorry, just had to share this with someone.

Yes he can.

No seriously, he can, I saw it in that documentary that came out ages ago.

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Welcome to Earth. Pow!

Someone has been watching Independence Day while trying to use his brain...bad idea.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
When I watch a movie I suspend reality for that period of time.

Makes watching a movie much more fun! :)

Otherwise issues like the OP mention ruin the movie. This is especially true with any movie where you are knowledgeable of the subject matter.

SydneyDev

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
But he discovered their hidden countdown signal in the TV satellites. So from that he could reverse engineer their network protocol. And from the computers in the captured UFO he could find out their computer instruction set.

Use the instruction set to make a program and the network protocol to plant it.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Otherwise issues like the OP mention ruin the movie. This is especially true with any movie where you are knowledgeable of the subject matter.

Agreed. If you didn't, then you'd never see any movie at all.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
I can only partially suspend reality for movies. Independence Day was fine -it was all out sci-fi, and hillarious as well.

Things like Deep Impact or Armageddon which pretend to be realistic just annoy me too much. And Cloverfield just makes me want to get my money back at the ticket booth.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I can only partially suspend reality for movies. Independence Day was fine -it was all out sci-fi, and hillarious as well.

Things like Deep Impact or Armageddon which pretend to be realistic just annoy me too much. And Cloverfield just makes me want to get my money back at the ticket booth.

Really? What made Cloverfield such an offender? The big giant monster?

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Oh I dunno, we seem to be heading that way - use of off-the-shelf core OS's in combat vessels is coming into play, and if you can gain physical access to the hardware then it is technically hackable. Perhaps the alien vessel was running something from Steve Job!klum~hefnupkrztmfs' company advertised as virus free and they felt safe.

However, just try taking Will Smith up in an F-18, into a ravine and saying "It's all yours dude!" ;)

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
Jonny Lee Miller and Angelina Jolie probably couldn't "hack the planet" either.

tsk tsk.

especially not with a 28.8bps modem,or even if she did tripple the RAM. RISC is good.

Man I love that movie, damn you, I'm going to have to dig it out and watch it again tonight. I just wanted the clear powerbook "the Plague / Eugene Belford" gave Dade.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
C'mon...

the man used to be a fly, and they can transmit all sorts of viruses. ;)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Like how in Armageddon it was "easier" to train some miners how to go into space and such rather than to train some astronauts how to be miners...

'sall wrong.

No1451

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Ottawa, ON

Suspense of disbelief if often important for fiction. It let me watch Wanted without wanting to murder whoever wrote it, till it was done at any rate.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Like how in Armageddon it was "easier" to train some miners how to go into space and such rather than to train some astronauts how to be miners...

'sall wrong.

I think it was more to the point that they were more disposable than their astronauts, but that may just be cynicism on my part. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.