Jelly coating on brand new lens?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RHVC59, Feb 12, 2009.

1. RHVC59 macrumors 6502

I just received my new Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor Lens. I bought it from Amazon.com I was so excited until I I opened the box and noticed that the front of the lens looks like it has Vaseline smeared all over it. Is this normal? Do I try to clean it off. If so how? And with what?

Well I think I answered My own question.... I should have let the lens acclimatize. After the lens set on the counter for a half an hour. the jelly like coating has dissipated.:eek:

The second uninspiring snap of the dog was taken with the new lens... I an happy now.

Attached Files:

2. Narcosynthesis macrumors member

That sounds like condensation formed on the lens - as it moved from a cold van into your warm house, the moisture in the air condensed on the front element, and 'misted' it. After a while the temperatures evened out and all is fine again.

Ideally you should let items acclimatise after moving them between temperature extremes - leave the item in its box or case for a while to let the temperatures even out more slowly so you don't risk moisture collecting and possibly damaging something...