Jericho (season two)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by furcalchick, Jan 3, 2008.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

today marks 40 days until jericho returns for season two, albeit a shortened one (alot longer than it was back in may). i'm not a total jericho nerd, but i'm looking forward to what happens in season two.

here's jericho in a nutshell for those that have forgotten or are new to the show. not as efficient as the whole 8:15 recap of lost, but it will do.

already counting down to feb. 12th! it's tuesdays at 10 pm this year, for seven shows.

2. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I'm looking forward to Jericho, as well. Great plot lines, but often terrible writing. If they skipped most of the side dramas (love triangles, who's involved with the bombing, etc.) they could focus on much more compelling topics. It's a nuclear holocasut, for crying out loud!

I heard CBS stripped their budget way down so it'll be interesting to see how and if the plot can handle it. Anyway, I'm hopeful for a triumphant return. On with the countdown...

3. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i don't know why, but i feel that cbs will be stupid and cancel jericho in april for a second time. i was already angry the first time.

i think the writing has some faults, unlike lost, jericho should focus on the is, not the was. there isn't a need for alot of backstory. but i feel the conflict between new bern should be interesting.

4. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

The New Bern story line should be an interesting one. Town vs. Town struggling for the resources to survive... That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! I do not however, want to see the new "President" coming to Jericho to find Hawkins. How stupid is that story line? And where does it go from there? I want to see both towns fight it out, come to terms, and then figure out how to survive down the road. Plenty of stories to carry us through another 10 seasons if they wanted.

But I think you're right. CBS is looking for a reason to pull the plug again. They're only putting the show back on to appease the "Nutty" fans and will cancel it as soon as the next ratings book comes out. They need to let the show take root and develop the story lines to match the viewers everyday lives, much like Battlestar Galactica has done. The back drops are completely different but humans are not. The show needs to stop being a soap opera and start being a platform.

5. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

on the plot issue, i believe that jericho could last that long, as it doesn't have a specific end point like lost has with the survivors leaving the island. the end point of jericho is to survive, and there's so many conflicts that can happen in a post-aployitic world.

and i felt cbs set up jericho to fail since it didn't follow the network model of disease of the week like csi and their other shows (although there was some of that in the early shows, which i thought started the show pretty iffy). putting the show on a horrible timeslot didn't help either, as well as lack of promotion. i feel they are only doing this heavy promotion because of the strike and the rapid nuts fans that wanted the show back. this show is getting cancelled again, cbs doesn't like it and they can do whatever they want. but consider me a lost viewer, as i'll only watch them for price is right and sports after that.

6. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Looks like we're the only two talking about this show. Oh well. Maybe we'll get somebody interested and hopefully they're a member of a Neilsen family!:D

7. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

there are a few more fans on the show on these boards based on some of the previous tv threads. one of them has a friend that's on the show. probably aren't talking about it yet because we still have over a month before it comes back.

8. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Saw the Mom from Jericho in a new ABC primetime show called Eli Stone, she was Eli's Mom. Guess that means she'll bite it in the first few episodes of Jericho. She probably got the job when Jericho was cancelled. Can't see her playing a major role on two primetime series. Not impossible, or maybe she's just a part timer on the new show. I hope she bites it, though. Her acting is over the top Drama Momma.

9. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Jericho - worst show ever.

You get one question answered in one episode but at the end, there are 20 more questions!!! It never ends! I hate it.:mad:

The show takes tooooooo long to explain it self.:mad::mad:

10. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

for those wondering, jericho finished all their show orders before the strike, and i heard that eli stone was among the last to shut down filming. so she probably started out after jericho shut down.

and apparently, there are two endings to jericho, one for if the show ends up canned again for more closure and the second if the show gets picked up for more episodes later on. which ending do we see? we'll find out march 25th.

11. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I've seen the first three episodes (;)) and I can tell you that they've cut down on a lot of those annoying side-stories you mention. I don't know if it's because of the short season, the need to do well after being cancelled, or something else, but the first three episodes simply fly by at the speed of light and are very action packed.

As far as the nuclear holocaust thing goes, though that was the main subject in season one, season two seems to focus on (without giving too much away) and almost "alternate history of America" feel, not unlike those novels about what would have happened if the South won the Civil War or the allies lost WWII...

I was sure CBS was simply appeasing fans by airing a second season and had every intention of canceling it, but after getting a glimpse at the first few stories, I now think it's going to do well in the ratings. Especially with the lack of new dramas on the air.

You mean like Lost or Heroes?

I actually think Jericho is a lot better at answering questions and keeping things on track than either of these other serial dramas.

12. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Sounds interesting. That's what I've been hoping for all along. More stories to tell and they could really parallel real life a lot better. The "who dropped the bomb" thing doesn't interest me at all.

I'm looking forward to its return, and I hoped it's as action packed as you suggest.

13. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i think the whole dropping the bomb thing is for the most part wrapped up. a bunch of american nutties blew up cities to overthrow the government and ensue chaos. i think for the premise of the show, that's all we really need to know, unless we meet one of the nutties later on. i think for the most part, mysteries were solved promptly (although some of them were pretty vague), but we have little about mr. jacob green and what he's been up to exactly, i would like to have a bit more backstory on him.

and i agree about the whole alternate america thing was pretty much where the show was headed from midway through the first season when we found out america was broken up, and the town was pretty much going to self reliance after spending most of the first part of the season figuring out when help was coming and eventually realizing they have to help themselves now. i'm really looking forward to season two now. and if the ratings go way up, i think jericho is going to be on the air for quite some time.

14. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

jericho about to come back on cbs in a few minutes. i'm ready.

15. Galapp macrumors regular

Go Jericho :D:D:D:D
    I am waiting for the 2nd season soooo much... thank god prison break and heroes helped me while I was waiting... now I am waiting for Heroes to restart :D

16. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

at least the bomb plot has some relevance to the main plot of the season. i'm thinking the western government at least knew about the attacks, but likely, they (or someone connected to them) orchestrated the attacks to take over america. loved the first show, and it looks like things are not going to be the uncivil rest of the first season, which is a change of pace.

17. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

So the ratings were dismal. Jericho was a distant third in it's comeback night.

Oh well, at least the writers got a chance to tie up loose ends.

I'm putting the odds of a Season 3 about the same as a Ron Paul presidential win :D

18. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i think part of it was due to the two hour idol prior to it/lack of promotion. bad time slot also hurts it. but they are repeating tuesday's show on saturday at 8pm in case you missed it.

but i'm still thinking cbs did this so that they could kill the show again. expect cancelled on april, especially with the strike over.

19. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Pretty happy with the first episode of the new season. I liked the pacing and the writing was much improved. Let's hope the next ep keeps it up.

20. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

This seasons tone is much darker than in the past. The show always had that feel good quality and is now much more dramatic.

I'm a little tired of the CBS threats to pull the show because everyone is DVR'ing it. I guess they're struggling for Advertiser dollars.

21. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

22. cmcconkey macrumors 6502

Yes the time slot totally SUCKS, but maybe they (CBS) won't close out the show in the last of this seasons episodes and another station will pick it up and do the show some justice.

This show is the only show in MANY years that I have actually looked forward to watching the next episode within minutes of the end of current episode.

23. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I'm not liking the tone of this season. I feel like the first season was more character and character connection driven while this season is all plot driven. There is no "survival" factor of this season, they fixed all those problems way too quick in the first episode.

I do like the Robert Hawkins/Government part of the story, but I liked how it was the sub plot of the first season and not the main one like it is now. I will watch and finish this season but if this it the way they want to go with the show, I won't be that upset if it is done after these 7 episodes.

24. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Yeah, that's what I said further up when I was reviewing the first three episodes - there's very little survival story anymore but now a lot of alternative history, "24" type stuff.

Though I preferred the former as a genre, I don't mind the way they're executing the latter.

I think part of the trouble, besides the awful time slot, is that they've already turned off the core audience that would be into this season's story-line with the whole different vibe the show had last season. Most people who'd love the spy/terrorist/killing/bloodshed/gunfire of season 2 will never give it a chance because they remember the male bonding/crying/flirting/Ma Green/people hugging in the rain of season 1...

25. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I agree. I'm a fan of 24 and those "we're going to expose the government" type of shows, but that is not what I tune in to see Jericho for. I want to see all the characters and how they are cooping with the attacks and having to work together to survive.