jerky bluetooth magic mouse

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by squeeks, Feb 4, 2014.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

I have a problem, its effecting multiple machines, multiple magic mice. One is a 2012 macbook pro classic, the other is a 2006 Mac pro, both get random jerky mouse movements like the bluetooth signal is being lost. I checked the signal strength, i get ~60 on the MBP and ~70 on the mac pro. Its got to be some app i have installed but i don't know what. Has anyone had this issue and tracked it down to a specific cause or app that might be causing the problem?

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

The 2006 Mac Pro's are a bit notorious for Bluetooth signal issues as their Bluetooth aerial often doesn't work too well. The old workaround is to connect the Bluetooth card to the spare third WiFi aerial instead.

However this causes another problem, if you are using 2.4GHz WiFi, heavy network traffic will cause interference with Bluetooth. If possible switching to 5GHz WiFi fixes this.

So I guess the question is, has the Mac Pro had its aerials switched around, and does the jerky mouse movements occur more when there is increased network (2.4GHz WiFi) traffic?

As for the MacBook Pro, I don't know about that.