Jerky Bluetooth Mouse Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by orangejedi, Aug 17, 2009.

1. orangejedi macrumors newbie

My grandparents bought a brand new iMac not too long ago, and i couldn't help but notice how jerky and un-smooth the mouse pointer of the bluetooth Mighty Mouse was onscreen. The pointer would go fast then slow then fast again in a matter of a fraction of a second. The extreme lack of precision and accuracy was very frustrating, and the only way to fix it was to ditch the mousepad and use the thing right on the tabletop. Now, a few months later, i am starting to have the same problem with MY bluetooth Apple mouse (not a mighty mouse though). My computer desk is made of glass, so getting rid of the mousepad is not really an effective solution for me, but i'm wondering if the mousepad is even the problem at all. Other mice work fine on it. My grandma and my computer both have Leopard on them; perhaps it is a software issue? Whatever it is, it's really driving me nuts! I really like using the wireless mouse, but the jerky pointer with a mind of its own really makes it impossible!
    Does anyone else have this problem or know of a way to fix it?
    Thanks a ton!

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I just swapped over from a wired MM to a bluetooth MM... Although I wouldn't call the mouse tracking "jerky", its certainly inconsistent.

My mouse tracking is set to be 1 bar from the fastest speed in preferences yet it seems to fluctuate in use between really fast tracking and much slower... seemingly randomly. :mad:

If I just wave my mouse hand back and forth across the desktop the amount it moves with each swing can vary quite a bit. It makes it really difficult to use because I'm either over or under shooting targets all the time. Table or mouse pad doesn't make a difference. :confused:

BTW, the optics on the bluetooth mouse are different than my wired mouse. I wasn't expecting that. I guess the wireless one uses laser and the wired one uses old-school optics or something. :confused:

3. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

If it was working fine before, it's probably not the mouse pad, but this is easy to check, isn't it? Put something else under the mouse. Then check the batteries, etc.

If the Mighty Mouse is anything like my Logitech v470, it tracks much better when it's set to a slower tracking speed (mine is just a bit less than half way). The tracking acceleration curve helps with quick movement, and tracking in things like FPS games is better this way too.

4. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Perhaps that makes it a little more consistent, but it's too damn slow. Argh! :mad: