Jerky video playback after burn in iDVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rfriscuolo, Dec 21, 2008.

1. rfriscuolo macrumors newbie

Hi,

Been producing a dvd for some friends of their wedding using my Panasonic video camera. Halfway through the day my camera broke so I borrowed someones Sony HD camera.

The person I borrowed the HD camera from then burned the footage as a DVD (they use a pc) and I extracted the footage out of the DVD as a DV file using Toast 8 (making sure the frame rate was the same as my project - 25fps).

I have edited all the footage in iMovie then created the iDVD project - everything looks fine in the preview. After the DVD is burned and I test it on my DVD player & TV all the footage from the HD camera is very jerky, particularly when there is movement on the screen (walking etc). All the footage from my camera plays perfectly. The burnt disc plays fine on my Mac through DVD Player though.

Can anyone shed any light? Do I need to convert the HD footage to SD before importing it into iMovie?

I am using iMovie HD (6) and iDVD 7.0.1

Thanks in advance.

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

Sounds like your DVD player is having trouble. If the same disc plays fine on the Mac, it's not iMovie or iDVD that is the problem. Have you tried it in a PC?

I'm guessing your DVD player doesn't like your DVD-R media... is it DVD-R or +R ? Hve you tried playing it in someone else's player?
    Have you burned other projects in iDVD that worked fine on this player?

Another thing to try is to lower the quality of the iDVD encoding... change it to "good" instead of "best" ( or whatever the setting is, I'm sorry I'm stuck on a PC right now and can't look )

3. rfriscuolo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have done quite a few iMovie/iDVD projects that all play fine on my DVD player. In fact most of this project plays fine, it is just the footage that has been recorded on a different camera that I have extracted out of a DVD and then imported into iMovie that is jerky - the rest is fine.

Do you mean the Encoding in the Preferences? I have burnt it at 'High Quality' should I try it at the lower 'Best Performance'?

Thanks.

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

Yes, I would try that. I don't mean that as the final solution, but to see if the bitrate you are recording at is what is choking your DVD player.

However, with your example that other iMovie/iDVD projects work fine for you, I think that this may be something else.

So before we drop the idea of the DVD player being at fault, make sure you haven't recently changed the brand of DVD-R media you use or anything like that.

The next thing I would check is your import method for your video. How are you getting the footage off of the DVD disc?

( Does this person have the original footage still, BTW? Was the original Camera a Tape, Harddrive or DVD model? )

I would suggest that you convert the video to DV video using MPEGstreamclip before importing it into iMovie. Make sure and encode it with the right video standard ( I assume PAL, since you're 25fps )