Jerky video playback on mac pro 2009.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by nigel1210, Apr 10, 2009.

1. nigel1210 macrumors member

Have tried both quicktime and vlc, put video playback seems to be jerky on any panning shots on videos.

Have tried some 1080p trailers from the following link, especially apparent on the new ice age trailer. see page below.

http://www.davestrailerpage.co.uk/

anybody else have this problem? This is on a mac pro 2009.

2. aponsin macrumors member

3. grue macrumors 65816

Probably the video, not the computer. I'm on my PBG4-12 right now so HD video isn't going to be something I bother trying, but I'm giving pretty good odds you're experiencing the joy of the 3:2 pulldown.

4. adrianr macrumors member

Videos are fine. Downloaded a few 1080p samples and they're all smooth as butter. Between 15/20% CPU usage on a quad.

5. grue macrumors 65816

What type of display? Also, what refresh rate?

6. Abidubi macrumors 6502

The new iceage trailer played perfectly smoothly at 1080p on my 25.5 inch 1920X1200 display. I know for a fact if you want to play multiple HD flash movies in your browser turning off hyperthreading makes a choppy experience perfectly smooth. But thats only because 3 or 4 flash videos suck up CPU like crazy and hyperthreading doesn't benefit video playback (but does seem to hinder it). Until apple has real support for HT that is.

7. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Certainly doesn't look to be CPU related.

The attached shows the CPU load when playing a 40 second '1080p' clip, twice. The first time was in a window, the second time full screen.

Attached Files:

8. nigel1210 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all the replies.

Tried the video on an imac in the apple store. To be honest that didnt seems 100% smooth, so it might be the video to a certain extent.

Also I wondering if my screen could be a factor in this, using a hp 2475w at 60hz refresh.

Another note the exhaust port on the radeon 4870 seems quite hot. Is this normal?

9. nigel1210 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry if this sounds stupid but i'm coming from a windows pc. Is the higher bars the higher cpu usage?

10. nigel1210 thread starter macrumors member

Noticed this in the prad.de review of the screen I have.

"Thanks to its 6 ms response time, action scenes are played back without a problem by the HP LP2475w. In the case of very slow, even camera movements, small juddering motions could be seen occasionally which could not be reproduced. However, this is only if you look very closely."

11. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Each pixel is 1 second, so the peak you notice is the initial caching of the file or something else. It's merely a blip.

Yes the exhaust on the ATi can get warm, certainly warmer than other exhausts on the MP, nothing to worry about.

By the way, have you tried installing Perian? It may be better at playing back h.264 MP4 files.