iPhone 7(+) Jet Black 7+ Screens Dims outside

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by harleymhs, May 13, 2018.

1. harleymhs macrumors 6502

Hey Guys, I noticed last week while in Sunny Florida that my Jet Black 7+ in an APPLE Silicone case when outside taking photos the screen dims to very dark . Restart the phone and its OK for a few then back to dim then ok again keeps toggling back and fourth.. The phone was not sitting in the direct sun either.. Is this a common issue? Are the JET BLACK or Matt black more prone to this because of the color? My Wife has a RED 7+ with with a clear silicone case and it didn't happen to hers. Thanks for any help.

2. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

If Auto-Brightness is off, then it could be lowering brightness to reduce heat or power (not sure which one to be honest)

My Jet Black iPhone 7 does this a lot, I’ll have Auto-Brightness off with peak brightness, and sometimes it just flickers to a lower level despite being at peak in Control Centre

3. troy14 macrumors 6502a

It’s probably your phone overheating. My X does this, the first step is dimming the screen and then it turns the phone off. I’ll either take it out of the case or dunk it in water to cool it off

4. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

The thing is, it does this inside in a normal room (cool and well ventilated) at times

It might happen more often outside, but it happens inside too (and not even on a FT call or gaming)

5. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

If your phone shuts off to prevent overheating don't dunk it in water as an above poster suggests. Hardly a good idea for any electronic device regardless of weather it's water resistant or not.

6. harleymhs thread starter macrumors 6502

Auto Brightness is set to ON and it happens.