Jet Black iPhone 7 Options

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by samkim4415, Jan 5, 2017.

1. samkim4415 macrumors member

hi I just purchased an iPhone 7 jet black and just wanted to see some feedback regarding my options:

1. Get a case?
    Any recommended cases for the JB? Any good clear cases that doesn't show that rainbow effect? I do want to show it off cuz of the color.

2. Going Naked with Apple care + (leaning towards this)

3. Covering it with a skin. Any good brands? Slickwraps? Best skins ever? I never had a skin but is the installation hard? And once u do get it on...do the skins feel like the actual phone? Do the skins come off and start to peel off and how long do skins usually last? Is it worth it?

If you can comment with any tips and any advice? I do want to use the JB to the best of its abilities.

Thanks for reading

2. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

1) I'm still working on finding a good clear case that doesn't do the wet look or rainbow effect.

2) Don't recommend this unless you have a nice soft pouch/sleeve to carry it in.

3) I've heard that most wraps and skins kill the look of the JB. There is also this article I read where if you take off the skin/wrap it'll remove all the words on the back of the phone at the bottom.

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

If it was me, I would just carry the iPhone 7 by itself without a case. If you really truly want to appreciate the look of the jet black color, that's what I would do. It also depends on how cautious or cumbersome you are with Handling iPhones.

And yes, some of those wraps have been known to remove the regulatory labels.

The Jet black color will show Micro abrasions or scratches, but I think it gives it character.

4. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I'm taking off my current clear case and cleaning/inspecting it like every other day. Hopefully this obsession will stop. My blue 5c got those microscratches. Bugged me at first but I got over it.

I do intend to sell/trade in this device eventually so being somewhat vigilant is going to be a habit of mine. I don't intend to sell/trade my 5c ever though.

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Unfortunately, micro abrasions are common with the new jet black color and the plastic iPhone 5c.

I will say whatever you upgrade to eventually, the 7000 series aluminum on the iPhones are fairly scratch resistant and hold up really well. I never use any cases and I have zero scratches on my iPhones. But I will have to say that I am cautious.

One of the reasons I didn't purchase the jet black color, was the disclaimer Apple put on the website about how it will show hairline scratches. Otherwise, I really like the color.

6. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

It's the only reason I upgraded really. It reminded me of my 5c. So having a better camera and 3GB of RAM made it worth it. Plus a TSMC chip instead of the Samsung in my 6s so I knew I'd have better battery life! It's nice to not be plugged in 2x a day.

7. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The extra ram really helps with multitasking and less refreshes. The dual camera and the optical zoom is a huge advantage. Plenty of room for expansion beyond what it's capable of doing now. The new portrait mode and the Depth effect Is really innovative.

Surprisingly, is how much faster the iPhone 7 is over the 6S. It's just a smoother operation and the A10 fusion chip is entirely different for Apple.

Even with the deleted 3.5 Jack, the battery is larger and an additional two hours of battery life is achieved.

8. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Apparently, if you don't have pictures for any of the hundreds of thousands of posts on this website for products you own, then everybody must be untruthful. Wow.

Also, forgot to mention, the dual speakers on the 7+ happens to be one of my favorite features. The sound quality and Crispness of the speakers are truly great. Even speaker calls are clear enough where I can leave my iPhone from a distance and hear the other person on the line very clearly.

9. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Oh yeah! That too! I found it useful when I was folding laundry and talking to my grandma. Must be clear in the receiving end too because she's hard of hearing and she didn't ask "What?" like she used to with my 6s on speakerphone.

10. Sunny1990, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

@Septembersrain i love sharing pictures of my devices :D. @Relentless Power You are claiming that your phone has zero scratches even without using a case!!!can you share pictures of your device how is it holding up without a case (what's wrong am i asking here)
    IMG_0408.JPG IMG_0409.JPG IMG_0410.JPG IMG_0411.JPG

11. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

So here is boxes of what I had. Last photo is my first Android ever. The phone at the very top in the mix is my first cellphone with a data connection. Photo time!

Edit: I didn't keep the box on some I sold or traded in. I'm also missing some stuff that's around here somewhere...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I'm all for going nakit. As for the phone :p I'm using mine without a case or skin for the first time since the iPhone 6 launched and I'm loving it.

Surprisingly even after the months I've had it and the times I've dropped it, there's nothing beyond micro scratches so it's holding up well.

Normally I much prefer to just pay up front and be done with it with anything I buy. But the finish of the Jet Black and the difference that made to the tactility of the iPhone has convinced me otherwise this time.

It's the first iPhone since the 5s that I'm happy to hold caseless without worrying about it slipping out of my hand like an eel in a banana wetsuit. So to take advantage of the look and feel and enjoy it to its fullest I decided to go for the iPhone upgrade program, that way I need not concern myself too much about scratching and such as I won't be passing or selling it on.

It's been very liberating, these days I find it wasteful to not either sell the phone or pass it on to someone, because they're good enough to last several years. But if I'm doing either of those I'd end up thinking about its condition too much. With the upgrade program I can just enjoy my phone and still be happy that when I'm done with it, it'll be recycled and made good use of.

13. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

The speakers are incredible! My son returned from holiday and wanted to do a conference call with my mother and me to avoid going over the same things twice. But my mother had phone issues right when we were supposed to start. So I put my son on speakerphone on my 7+, and held it in front of my iPad where I got my mother on FaceTime. Worked like a charm!

14. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

Microabrasions are common with most cases because they don't have anything to prevent dust and grit from rubbing between the phone and the case. This is why apple official cases have a microfibre lining on the inside to prevent microabrasions as much as they can.

Baffles me when someone buys a cheap plastic case, because it doesn't provide any protection and ruins the back of the device.

As someone said though, I think the jet black will gain character as times goes on, like a fine leather.

15. jlczl macrumors 6502

Buy a case but not a skin. Skins are super hard to apply perfectly and can't come off and on easily. With a great case such as an Apple leather case you can have it on when you need protection and then take if off easily when you want to enjoy the device naked. Throw in Apple care and you're doubly protected.

16. jsmitty macrumors regular

I've always liked the look of a caseless phone and have used cases off and on. I've tended to use clear cases when I do use them but on my Space Gray 6s and now my matte black 7plus - these cases have scuffed the back of my phone. I've just quit using a clear case on my 7plus and bought a black Apple leather case for when I feel I have to have a case because of the soft lining.