Jet Black iPhone 7 - Scratch Magnet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AbSoluTc, Sep 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

What do you think? Love the color but I have a strong feeling this thing is going to scratch like nobodies business.

2. meechy macrumors 6502

3. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

4. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

yeah way too shiny for my liking and I can bet you it will be scarce just like the rose gold was when it was released.

5. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

I like it but I think I am going with just black.

6. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Definitely fingerprint magnet. I'd definitely go for this gloss finish though as it most likely will stay on your hand better than the usual aluminum texture of the current ones.

7. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

looks damn nice on the screen but for sure will be a fingerprint magnet.

8. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Finger print I can deal with. Scratching I cannot.

9. Rob198612 macrumors 6502

It's not plastic if you saw keynote they explained how it was made. Defineitly getting it!

10. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

Will be in a thin clear case but worry about the grit that gets inside marking the phone.

May have to go normal black begrudgingly.

11. Howyalikdemapls macrumors 6502

It will definitely scratch easily. Apple's website even says this and recommends using a case if you're concerned about scratches. I will still be buying it though and putting a crystal clear case on it like I always do.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Could go either way honestly. I'd hope, at this point, Apple would have considered this. Current finishes don't seem to scratch all the easily.

13. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

From Apples own website:
    The Jet Black will scratch even from just removing it from a TPU case. I guarantee it.

14. Howyalikdemapls macrumors 6502

Direct quote from Apple's website:

"The high-gloss finish of the Jet Black iPhone 7 is achieved through a precision nine-step anodization and polishing process. Its surface is equally as hard as other anodized Apple products; however, its high shine may show fine micro-abrasions with use. If you are concerned about this, we suggest you use one of the many cases available to protect your iPhone."

It will at least show micro marring.

15. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

They just said it was anodized, but IDK what some of those other steps might do differently than normal. They're limiting it to the higher-capacity models, so it's probably a more expensive process. But they didn't mention anything like the diamond-like coating the Apple Watch Space Black has, so I bet it will scratch easier. I really want this color but didn't think about finger prints. This thing could be really annoying, but it looks super slick in the ads. My dilemma is in the sizing. If I get a 7 Plus, I'll get the Jet Black for sure because I'll just put it in a case because it will be harder for my to hold. So even though it's in a case, might as well get that since it costs the same and I like it. But if I get the smaller sized iPhone (the one I really want but has a worse camera) then I'm more likely to get the matte and maybe go wild and go caseless for the first time in ages. But I would think that either would scratch, just like the old black iPhone 5 did, unless they have significantly improved the anodization process.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Cool. Thank you.

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I think Apple learned a trick or two from Neucase.

18. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

If Apple are warning you about possible scratches, I think that's a pretty good indicator if you like to keep your devices looking pristine you shouldn't be buying the Jet Black model.

19. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

I'm going to buy Jet Black, use it case-less as always and not give a rats ass about micro abrasions or anything and love it.

P.S. you won't have to wonder for long, as soon as it's released hundreds of divies on Youtube will be scratching them up as much as they can for your viewing pleasure :rolleyes:

20. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Yeah, they'll be some knob-head uploading a video to YouTube on day one scratching it with a stanley knife and reacting in horror that there's damage.

21. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

This is simply iphone 6 series 3 with two new blacks. One that will likely scratch and fingerprint nicely. My prediction is next year's model will feature a ceramic housing, just like the new white Apple watch 2 edition, but will come in black, white and other beautiful colors.
    This year's rehash model is a no brainer-- it's a no, I'll pass.

22. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

I dont know, looking at the hands on videos it looks kind of like plastic, i think im going with the matte black.

23. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

I have a bad feeling it's going to scratch very similarly to how the backs of the iPod Classics scratched - which is too bad, because the jet black is sharp.

24. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

That Jet Black is hot. Makes the iPhone a Darth Vader phone. My wife's going to want one, sure as all get out. I'd like it, too. None of the other colours are that appealing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.