Jet Black is an old Color. Apple has been using it on the Mac Pro

brandonnnnnnn

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
TX
Can someone confirm the color difference on the mac pro vs the jet black? They look the same in pictures.

poematik13

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2014
Mac pro is more of a charcoal/dark grey than a black. They both have similar amounts of gloss/polish, though.

Source: typing this on mac pro

ProphetX

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2011
You mean iPhone 3G.

And Apple did not invent Gloss Black. And thats all it is. I don’t care what they say. When someone comes out with an un-scratchable Gloss Black. Then and only then can they act as if they re-invented the wheel as Apple has with Jet Black.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
You mean iPhone 3G.

And Apple did not invent Gloss Black. And thats all it is. I don’t care what they say. When someone comes out with an un-scratchable Gloss Black. Then and only then can they act as if they re-invented the wheel as Apple has with Jet Black.
Apple didn't invent gloss black. And they have been using a glossy black since the 3GS, which was made of plastic iirc.

The 4 and 4s were gloss black with a glass back.

And now, for the 7 plus. We have a polished anodized aluminum gloss black. It is innovative in the material in which they used to achieve the color, but not in the color itself.

I don't think anyone else has made a polished anodized aluminum gloss black. At least to my knowledge.

Looking forward to what they bring for the 8. Hopefully ceramic or a durable glass back again.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Folks, I think the OP is more curious about he similarities between the MAC pro and jet black iPhone than anything, based in the body of the post. I'm unsure the implication here is that Apple invented jet black.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Folks, I think the OP is more curious about he similarities between the MAC pro and jet black iPhone than anything, based in the body of the post.
Yet the title seems to be a statement of fact?

JB iPhone 7 isn't the first glossy black iPhone we've had. That distinction belongs to the black iPhone 3G, which is even older than the Mac Pro.

Likewise, we've had matte Black before in the Black and Slate iPhone 5.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Yet the title seems to be a statement of fact?

JB iPhone 7 isn't the first glossy black iPhone we've had. That distinction belongs to the black iPhone 3G, which is even older than the Mac Pro.

Likewise, we've had matte Black before in the Black and Slate iPhone 5.
Was just sharing how I took it. I've seen much more poorly written titles here.

"I need help ASAP"
What color phone should I buy?

Etc

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
And now, for the 7 plus. We have a polished anodized aluminum gloss black. It is innovative in the material in which they used to achieve the color, but not in the color itself.

I don't think anyone else has made a polished anodized aluminum gloss black. At least to my knowledge.
Neucase has been doing black anodization since the iPhone 5. Perhaps Apple has a different material but Neucase was giving customers black since the 5s.

brandonnnnnnn

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
TX
Folks, I think the OP is more curious about he similarities between the MAC pro and jet black iPhone than anything, based in the body of the post. I'm unsure the implication here is that Apple invented jet black.
Correct. I was just curious between the two.