Jet Black only on 128 and 256 Models

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NovemberWhiskey, Sep 7, 2016.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Apologize if this has been covered, but wanted to do a PSA for those that did not know. The Jet Black will only be available on the 128 and 256 GB models per Apple's website.

2. westcoastcyc macrumors regular

3. skyehigh macrumors member

Customer choice is not something Apple do well , you will have it the way they see fit and nothing else matters.

4. HEK Suspended

HEK

Extra manufacturing for that color. So extra costs. Does anyone even listen to the presentation? Besides anyone buying this phone really should rethink the 32 GB option. No music, no pictures, few apps on board.

5. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I have a lot of respect for you because you explained the anodization chipping problem so well, so I will answer your question seriously: no, some people have jobs and don't have time to watch the whole presentation in detail. I went all day long not knowing, despite having checked out the apple site and read a few articles about the keynote.

It's an easy to miss tidbit, that gets buried in other threads, which is why I thought it would be helpful to people who did not catch it, given that preorders start at midnight tomorrow and they may be sitting there balking at a purchase wondering why they can't get 32 in jet black, possibly causing a delay which results in a backordered ship date.

32 is fine for many people, especially considering iphotos has that cloud storage feature now, and people are moving away from music storage, and more towards music streaming. Most things are moving to the cloud.

I'm on a 64 now, and was going to get the 32 just to save some money. Guess I have to get 128 now.

BTW, how do you think the new finish will affect the anodization problem, if still present?

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

And at the same time regular black would do just fine for people who want 32 GB and don't want to spend extra money on a larger sized phone just for a finish.

7. HEK, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

HEK Suspended

HEK

Thanks for your explanation. I see your point and would advise everyone to look at the Apple Store where all the info about models, costs, etc can be seen. Also check out the notes at bottom of Apple Store page regarding the jet black finish and how it may be prone to micro scratches.

The part of the anodizing process that imparts the oxidation along with color to the base aluminum is really no different. The two gold and two black as well as current space grey are all anodized. The aluminum color is parent metal covered with a coating and not anodized.

From the description Apple provided in the short film it appears that the main differences in jet black vs other colors is the polishing steps and that the anodization be be done more than once, but that wasn't clear. The magnetized iron filing finish polish is something new I had not heard of before.

What is so weird is that regardless of what color people choose, most I see in wild have some sort of case on their iPhone. So the color is seen so rarely anyway. I'm going to try the jet black and attempt to use without a case, but I'm not sure how long that will last. I have found the Apple leather case to be ideal in helping hold my current 6s Plus.

8. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Ah reminds me of the Black Mac "tax" I paid back in 2007!