Jet Black Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by First Post G, Sep 24, 2016.

1. First Post G macrumors regular

So I ordered JB plus and it was delivered on Thursday...terrible timing since it got delivered as I was hopping on a plane to NY for the weekend. I had the chance to stop in the Apple Grand Central store to take a look at the new models. Both blacks look great, but the JB model was covered in smudges...also a nasty scratch but you could tell somebody was trying to scratch it - it was deep. I can purchase the matte black pretty easily here as they are widely available, but wondering what they real life smudge situation is. Clearly the one in GC is handled by hundreds if not thousands a day, being the only JB demo model in a high traffic store. I'm not OCD and refuse to use a case - they all look terrible. So actual owners of the JB - what has your experience been? Does it get incredibly smudged in normal usage?

If you use a case or do not own a JB model, please don't respond. You opinion has no value here. Thanks.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's no different from the glossy "jet black" 3G/3GS in terms of smudges (if you have any experience with it). It's also self cleaning in the pants pocket each time you take it out and put it in.

In other words, it won't look like the display model JB.

Yes, it's a bit higher maintenance than other colors (just like black cars). However, it's also the best color to rock naked as it's more grippy than the matte aluminum.

3. First Post G thread starter macrumors regular

That's all I needed to hear. Thank you!

4. kp98077 macrumors regular

kp98077

Go with JB. Much more unique and classy. Just put skins on it like I did yesterday (ghost armor) looks awesome ! Nothing like that uniform, deep, clean, rich, unique look. After all. It's just a phone so enjoy it
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2016 ---
    Also, now that I've had my ghost armor on (they have glossy or matte) it shows less finger prints and now don't have to worry really at all about scratches ;-)

5. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

I've had my jet black 7+ since Wednesday and use it caseless. It's been hot in NYC these past few days until yesterday, so a decent amount of hand sweating while out and about (especially in the subway stations). The back of my jet black still looks perfect; a little smudge here and there wiped away with a microfiber cloth. It goes in its own pocket without anything else obviously but I haven't been babying it while putting it down on tables, etc. and there are no real scratches. The micro abrasions which are warned about are only minimally visible if angled the right way in certain light. Direct sunlight? Looks flawless. Direct overhead light? Flawless. And it's beautiful to look at and feels great to hold.

The store models are smudged because 1) people are pretty gross (pizza hand-->phone) and 2) I've seen people intentionally try to deep scratch them in the store.

6. First Post G thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all of the feedback. I think I was maybe subconsciously looking for negative feedback to give me an excuse to pick up a phone a day earlier :) I'll stick with the JB+! Looking forward to playing with it tomorrow!

7. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

8. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Any chance you could share a pic of it with the ghost armor? Thanks!