Jet Skids Off Toronto Airport Runway, Catches Fire

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
I'm watching the news on TV right now. It's kinda freaky. I arrived at that airport just 2 weeks ago...

Comment

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
This is horrible. A fully loaded Airbus A340-300... :(

This does not look good...

Comment

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Horrible news. I don't see how everyone could have survived, but hopefully the radio report is true. However, seeing the words "engulfed in a fireball" doesn't make it seem possible. :(

Comment

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Oh man, this is totally reminding me of Final Destination. I hope everyone is ok.

Comment

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
Amazing and good news is that all 309 people got off safely. Latest news here reports 24 people taken to hospital with minor injuries.

Flames (thick and heavy black smoke) are still here, even 3 hours after the crash, despite constant heavy rain and almost empty fuel tank on the plane when it landed.

No word on cause of the crash but there was heavy downfall and a lot of lighting in the area whole afternoon. Some reports say that plane was hit by the lighting, that would explain reports of the blackout on the plane just before landing.

Comment

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
That is amazing that no one died and no one really got hurt badly.

I've been in an airplane emergency landing a long time ago. The pilot thought the landing gear was not locking into postition. The plane (a little 15-20 passenger business jet) was supposed to land in CT but had to go to New York where they had better emergency crews. They put the foam stuff on the runway but it turned out that nothing was wrong with the landing gear. It was very scary though, many of the people were crying and calling relatives.

Comment

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Great news that no one was killed - amazing really. Lucky people, I'd say.

Comment

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I agree, it is amazing and I'm glad to hear nobody was seriously hurt (according to cnn.com, there were no major injuries).

It sounds like the plane may have been struck by lightning, but that doesn't explain it overshooting the runway. Pilots can typically land planes in very low visibility, so that doesn't sufficiently explain overshooting the runway either. Hopefully everything will be explained in the investigation results.

Comment

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
The latest theory is that combination of factors caused this crash.

First, heavy rain on the ground affected braking.
Second and more important, sudden wind direction change (from head wind to tail wind) caused plane to land further ahead (closer to the middle of the strip) and increased plane speed.

Comment

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....I just got an email from a friend of mine that lives a few miles away (Bloor/Royal York area) and they've had the smell of burnt plastic and jet fuel in the area now for a couple hours....oh yeah!

Comment

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
tutubibi said:
The latest theory is that combination of factors caused this crash.

First, heavy rain on the ground affected braking.
Second and more important, sudden wind direction change (from head wind to tail wind) caused plane to land further ahead (closer to the middle of the strip) and increased plane speed.
Yup, and at least one passenger is guessing that the front landing gear may have broken upon touchdown. We'll know for certain soon.

Comment

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
I was just driving by the airport Tuesday afternoon before it happened and the weather was horrible. Scattered thunder showers, and changing winds. I was just thinking about how i wouldn't want to be in one of those planes.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.