Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Why all the JetBlue hate? They're probably my favorite along with Southwest.

A few years ago I was flying on Christmas day and the flight was delayed maybe an hour or two. I didn't care because they offered out free bags of Terra Blue chips and soda while we waited. Then a few days later I got an email saying they just gave me a $50 voucher towards my next flight (and the flight itself only cost $100 if I recall). I thought that was pretty awesome on their part.

I agree--I love JetBlue. Can't afford first class or business class, but I can afford those great extra room seats JetBlue offers--great idea. They are first in a lot of new customer service ideas so this is no surprise. I always choose JetBlue when I go up to Boston (but I'll pass on going up there to 70+ inches of snow) ;)

gbc204

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2011
Who flies Jet Blue? Virgin all the way.

If I have to listen to/watch that Virgin America six-minute safety video at the start of the flight one more time, they're going to need to get the air marshall. It's annoying enough on its own, but occasionally I get on the flight with the flight attendant who dances down the aisle the whole time. He was on the Today show or something. It's awful.
I've also found Virgin's flight attendants to be extremely aloof. One drink service on a cross country flight? I know they're supposed to be the "cool" airline, but i find them annoying.

I tried Virgin over Jetblue, but Jetblue is by far my favorite airline. The new planes have outlets/USB at every seat, and huge screens with 100 channels. Plus, the wifi is free and has a higher speed pay option, free snacks you just get yourself if you want, and the regular seats have way more legroom than the "economy plus" seats on Delta or United. Virgin is still way better than the other carriers, but Jetblue is great if you're not a regular business class traveller. Though that Mint service looks great.

----------

JetBlue is the BEST airline I've ever flown. Much better than any of the major airlines.

Everyone gets DirecTV to watch on their own personal TV, unlimited free snacks, unlimited non-alcoholic drinks, the employees are really nice, very quick to board, and usually one of the cheapest flights.

And the most convenient way to get to southern California for us. They are the only major airliner to go into Long Beach airport, a really small airport that you can get in/out of super fast. Only one terminal and like 6 entry gates in the entire airport. The planes come right up to the windows. Super convenient.
Don't forget that they're also one of the few airlines that still flies to Burbank. That is the best. Such a small airport, never a line at security, and you board/deplane from the front AND the back, so you get out super quick.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
You are contradicting yourself. Your "past" must mean around 5 years ago or so... because it's been a long time since Delta allowed you to pay with cash.

The convenience of tapping your phone (which you already have in your hands) on their tablet is orders of magnitude better than fishing a wallet out of your back pocket while you're seated or pulling your wallet out of your purse that's under the seat in front of you.

I don't get why it's so hard to see that this is the perfect use of Apple Pay?

If only it were as easy as simply tapping. Instead you have to wait for them to launch an app and get into it (passcode, etc) when you ask to pay with Apple Pay. Seems easier to hand them a card, they swipe and hand it back and you're done. I really don't see it'll be that much faster. It'll be cool if it is but I'm not seeing some huge advantage that you are currently.

BCC16

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2015
If only it were as easy as simply tapping. Instead you have to wait for them to launch an app and get into it (passcode, etc) when you ask to pay with Apple Pay. Seems easier to hand them a card, they swipe and hand it back and you're done. I really don't see it'll be that much faster. It'll be cool if it is but I'm not seeing some huge advantage that you are currently.

Long time reader, first time poster.
I have a feeling you haven't used Pay. If a device that accepts Pay is setup, a press of a button is the only thing needed to process Pay. No need to launch an app, etc.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

The point of sale App while tapping is the same app you would use while swiping. No extra steps.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
If I have to listen to/watch that Virgin America six-minute safety video at the start of the flight one more time, they're going to need to get the air marshall. It's annoying enough on its own, but occasionally I get on the flight with the flight attendant who dances down the aisle the whole time. He was on the Today show or something. It's awful.
I've also found Virgin's flight attendants to be extremely aloof. One drink service on a cross country flight? I know they're supposed to be the "cool" airline, but i find them annoying.

I tried Virgin over Jetblue, but Jetblue is by far my favorite airline. The new planes have outlets/USB at every seat, and huge screens with 100 channels. Plus, the wifi is free and has a higher speed pay option, free snacks you just get yourself if you want, and the regular seats have way more legroom than the "economy plus" seats on Delta or United. Virgin is still way better than the other carriers, but Jetblue is great if you're not a regular business class traveller. Though that Mint service looks great.

----------

Don't forget that they're also one of the few airlines that still flies to Burbank. That is the best. Such a small airport, never a line at security, and you board/deplane from the front AND the back, so you get out super quick.

One drink service? What are you talking about? Did you miss the fact that you can have a drink brought to you anytime on demand by using the on demand food and drink service built into Red?

Every seat on every plane has power, and USB, unlike jetBlue, which only has it on some of their new planes (A321's), and on Virgin every plane has had wi-fi from day one, while on jetBlue only some planes have wi-fi, and only as of late.

RoccoFan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
I like it. I also like the holder for the iPad mini. I'm always surprised when I go into an Apple store that the staff don't use holders, cases, or slings with the iPads they have on the floor

gbc204

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2011
One drink service? What are you talking about? Did you miss the fact that you can have a drink brought to you anytime on demand by using the on demand food and drink service built into Red?

Every seat on every plane has power, and USB, unlike jetBlue, which only has it on some of their new planes (A321's), and on Virgin every plane has had wi-fi from day one, while on jetBlue only some planes have wi-fi, and only as of late.

On every Virgin plane I've been on, there's only been one or two power outlets for every three seats, so you have to share them with whoever is sitting next to you. And while Virgin had wifi sooner, you still have to pay for it. Jetblue's is free. Much like Apple, I appreciate Jetblue's waiting to build a better system of their own than just using existing crappy technology like GoGo. Jetblue's paid option doesn't try to disable stuff like Netflix either, which most other carriers do.
I'm fine with Virgin, but given the choice of either at their optimal service, I'll always take JetBlue. I know people have their gripes with Jetblue, but personally I've had way more bad experiences with Virgin, down to printing the wrong boarding pass or not recognizing my upgraded seat on said boarding pass, than Jetblue.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
I think it's safe to assume that the number of those taking apple pay is growing and growing as time passes and the number that does not is dwindling and dwindling- with the exception of those CurrentC merchants which hopefully their exclusivity will run out soon.

I was kidding about the boycotting.

I was serious about that companies taking ApplePay is not a story worth reporting any more (unless it's Microsoft or Samsung stores!). As you said, the number is dwindling so it's not much of a story any more...

Gary

kdarling

macrumors P6
I was serious about that companies taking ApplePay is not a story worth reporting any more (unless it's Microsoft or Samsung stores!). As you said, the number is dwindling so it's not much of a story any more...

The number of US merchant locations that take contactless payments is still less than 3% of all registers.

So I'm afraid that reporting new places will go on for quite some time :eek:

Sorry!

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
The number of US merchant locations that take contactless payments is still less than 3% of all registers.

So I'm afraid that reporting new places will go on for quite some time :eek:

Sorry!

At least for big retailers. Joes fish bait store in rural areas probably won't get reported ;).

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State

I love JetBLue, they are my favorite airline (too bad they don't go to Atlanta).

Only thing I worry is apparently they got a new CEO who doesn't think they have good enough margins and thinks they are being too generous (I can't remember what exactly it was but I read an article and it sounds like he pretty much wants Jet Blue to become sucky just like every other airline. Like he thinks they need to charge for more stuff and be less generous).

Just found one article on it and one of the things the article said he was saying: In July, responding to analyst queries about potential revenue opportunities, Hayes said the airline is studying “fare families” that include checked-bag fees, among other changes, and praised European low-cost carriers for presenting the fees in an “elegant” fashion.

That last sentence really has me worried. Oh wait, reading more on it, I don't have to worry, I know. He's already had them announce less leg room as they'll add more seats and fare packages where the lowest one will have to pay extra for baggage. Apparently, one article was comparing the changes to spirit, saying Jet Blue would at least not be as stingy as Spirit.

So basically he wants to ruin the airline and make it no different than any other.. Sounds like he wants to make it the worst option unless that's all you can afford (maybe one step up from Frontier. At least you don't have to pay for seat assignments and maybe you'll get to have a carry on for free... <- yes, frontier charges you for a carry on, in fact it's even more expensive than a checked in bag).

Last edited:

gbc204

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2011
I love JetBLue, they are my favorite airline (too bad they don't go to Atlanta).

Only thing I worry is apparently they got a new CEO who doesn't think they have good enough margins and thinks they are being too generous (I can't remember what exactly it was but I read an article and it sounds like he pretty much wants Jet Blue to become sucky just like every other airline. Like he thinks they need to charge for more stuff and be less generous).

Just found one article on it and one of the things the article said he was saying: In July, responding to analyst queries about potential revenue opportunities, Hayes said the airline is studying “fare families” that include checked-bag fees, among other changes, and praised European low-cost carriers for presenting the fees in an “elegant” fashion.

That last sentence really has me worried. Oh wait, reading more on it, I don't have to worry, I know. He's already had them announce less leg room as they'll add more seats and fare packages where the lowest one will have to pay extra for baggage. Apparently, one article was comparing the changes to spirit, saying Jet Blue would at least not be as stingy as Spirit.

So basically he wants to ruin the airline and make it no different than any other.. Sounds like he wants to make it the worst option unless that's all you can afford (maybe one step up from Frontier. At least you don't have to pay for seat assignments and maybe you'll get to have a carry on for free... <- yes, frontier charges you for a carry on, in fact it's even more expensive than a checked in bag).
Crap, I didn't know any of that. This is terrible, terrible news. I always check Jetblue first, and unless other airlines blow away their price, I book Jetblue. If these changes go through, maybe I WILL start flying Virgin more. But still never flying Delta or United.

viorelgn

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Romania
In this case they don’t need an exclusivity agreement. Google Wallet requires an Internet connection (at least once per day or if you want to switch cards): which is highly inconvenient on a plane!

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Crap, I didn't know any of that. This is terrible, terrible news. I always check Jetblue first, and unless other airlines blow away their price, I book Jetblue. If these changes go through, maybe I WILL start flying Virgin more. But still never flying Delta or United.

Yeah, I know. I really hate their new CEO for this, a lot. He's pretty much ruining a wonderful airline (or what was once one). I hope he fails, they end up floundering, and they kick his ass out and go back to what was actually working for them. I'll even be spiteful enough to hope that in that scenario he can't find another job as a CEO or in any sort of control over any company (but you know that would never happen).

Well, southwest now just got a boon as being the only airline that still tries to not nickle and dime you.

kdarling

macrumors P6
In this case they don’t need an exclusivity agreement. Google Wallet requires an Internet connection (at least once per day or if you want to switch cards): which is highly inconvenient on a plane!

A connection every 24 hours?

Good thing then, that the longest airline flights in the world are only about 17 hours.

In some cases, they'll also likely have WiFi available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.