Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I have an all product subscription to Jetbrains IDEs because I use WebStorm, PyCharm and DataGrip, so since I already own a license to AppCode, I wondered whether I should use it instead of Xcode? Has anyone used both and can recommend which is the better choice? I'll be doing macOS / iPhone / iPad development with it.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I'd personally say that for developing for Apple devices I'd just do Xcode, unless you've got some very loved extensions to JetBrain you want to use, in which case I'd use both rather than just AppCode. Xcode integrates well with the Simulator and documentation viewer and all sorts of other niceties. I'm generally quite fond of JetBrains and use CLion and IntelliJ quite a bit, but for Swift I'd go with Xcode.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I'd personally say that for developing for Apple devices I'd just do Xcode, unless you've got some very loved extensions to JetBrain you want to use, in which case I'd use both rather than just AppCode. Xcode integrates well with the Simulator and documentation viewer and all sorts of other niceties. I'm generally quite fond of JetBrains and use CLion and IntelliJ quite a bit, but for Swift I'd go with Xcode.
Cool. Thank you for the advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.