JetDrive SD Expansion & iTunes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tcolmstead, Nov 17, 2015.

1. tcolmstead macrumors newbie

I've been storing my sizable iTunes Library on a JetDrive SD card since my Macbook Pro 13 just doesn't have enough space on the SSD for my Library and all of my other files. However, I've had consistent performance issues with iTunes since updating to 12.0 and onwards. Crash on launch and other critical issues.

I can't tell if it's the bloated software or my external storage that's causing this. Is it one or the other or both? I honestly don't know anymore.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well you can move a small library back onto your main drive and if that works fine it's the jet drive.

3. tcolmstead thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm afraid that doing that won't tell me much more because there will also be less library to index. I know people with smaller libraries have had less lag time and crashing with the versions since 12.2.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The library size should make no difference on the internal drive if it works it works, it may make a big difference on the jet drive because a full SD card could be running as slow as 10MB/sec read/write speeds and that may just be too damn slow.

There has also been internmittent issues reported with jetdrive and nifty mini drives with sleep/shutdown and mounting that may be causing the crashes.

5. tcolmstead thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm. That's some discomforting news. I'll have to test this when I get home.

6. WardH macrumors newbie

I tried running iTunes from an external SSD drive over USB. Never ran smooth so I put it back on the internal drive.

7. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

have you run first aid on the SD card? or you could try moving the entire library to another external, then wipe the SD card & re-initialize it (make sure it's os x extended). THEN move the library back, and THEN open itunes, see how things go. i have all my videofiles on a micro-SD card (with a 'nifty-like' holder), and works great.