JETech Fortress Case - anyone else get one free?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dictoresno, Aug 29, 2015.

1. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

I just got an email from JETech because i bought one of their screen protectors for my watch (which didn't work at all). It basically said they want to offer me a case, link below, for free in exchange for an honest review. Sure enough, they are $9.99 on amazon with prime shipping and they sent a promo code for the full $9.99 in the email. Once checked out, it discounts the full price and is indeed $0.00. It says the code will only work for the first 50 purchases of the day.

Anyone else get this email from them who has bought one of their products? The amazon reviews are nearly all positive it seems after 1700 reviews. Judging from the way their screen protector failed miserably, I can't imagine this case be worth anything. Anyone have this case? It was free so I went ahead and ordered it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0142Q2JNS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

2. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

I'm not a fan of Amazon reviews when goods have been supplied for free. Strangely enough they are always positive, it really distorts the true value of an item.

It's human nature to rate something more highly when it's free, it's better value for money (but a different story when you have to pay for it). Nor do I doubt that in the back of the reviewer's mind is, 'if I don't provide positive comments then I won't be offered something for free next time'.

3. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

Got the free case today. This is a larger case than I would usually buy. Its two pieces and first impression was it feels awfully thin and flimsy. It doesn't come with directions, so you need to figure out how to take it apart on your own. Its actually kind of tough to take apart and put together. Fitment was fine, however my thin glass screen protector was making it pretty tight to fit together. The outer edge is a soft rubber/TPU which fits around the top part and kind of holds it together. You need to install the top part to the phone, then lower it into the bottom part. Screen response through the built in screen protector is good as it the button response on the sides. One thing I notice is the outer charging port flap is almost impossible to open without a tool when its new out of the box. On the upside, I would feel comfortable using this case out in the rain or rough environments since it offers similar coverage as the Otterboxes but no where close to the same build quality. I personally doubt I would use this as a day to day case, as it doesn't fit my needs, but isnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. As long as the price remains sub $15, it can be worth it. I would not pay any higher for this case given its build quality and other similarly priced cases on the market. If anyone wants it, PM and its yours...just pay postage.

4. Pelaminoskep macrumors member

Pelaminoskep

This is not true at all. People tend to be more positive on more expensive things they bought, than on the same things if they are much cheaper. This has to do with the fact that you have to justify for yourself spending the money on something in the first place. If you don't have to justify it (e.g. it's free), you can be much more honest with yourself. It's a well known phenomenon in psychology called cognitive dissonance.

5. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

You should've seen the "so-so" review I left on amazon for it. And I even stated I was given it for free to do so.

6. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Ah. I wondered if anybody would pick up on that. What you reference does not take into account whether something normally costs money but you were lucky enough to get it for free and whether there is a reward for leaving a positive review (ie more likely to receive free goods in future).

7. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

I haven't tested the case we are talking about here, but the issues you raised are really obvious problems that should crop up in standard use. Which begs the question why so many positive reviews?. Free product maybe?

But kudos to you for writing what you thought.

8. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

The reviews were a mix of items under one listing. Look at it again. Most reviews were for a tpu case and not the one I bought.

9. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Oh don't get me started how Amazon groups reviews for different models under one. It's just confusing and drives me nuts.

10. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

And misleads buyers. So far im 0 for 2 with JETech products.

11. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Try being a blu-ray buyer. Different editions and DVD reviews are all grouped together. It matters if you're a real buff.