Jetlag-Induced Question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Kashchei, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I'm just back from a trip in Europe and I have a question concerning the impending update of the MacPro line. I was jetlagged but I read a post from someone who argued passionately that the MacPro line had now fallen behind the MacBook Pro and that Apple couldn't possibly hold off on upgrading this line until the Fall. Here's my question: how does the current MacPro line suffer in comparison to the MacBook Pros and do you think that this will prompt a refresh of the line in July/August?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Well according to the Geekbench 2.0 scores the MacBook Pro scores around 3000 and the Mac Pro scores over 5500. I don't think the Mac Pro is threatened performance wise at least.

3. dotcomlarry macrumors regular

I don't see how 8-core Xeon MacPros that can be upgraded to 16GB of RAM, 3 TBs of HD space, and up to 4 video cards as.... 'suffering.'

4. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

The line isn't suffering, but the Mac Pro has not seen an update in a LONG time, besides the addition of offering an 8-core configuration, nothing else has been updated. Still the same old 2006 video cards in there.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

correction:::: 32GB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

It doesn't "suffer" performance wise. When it comes to benchtests the Mac Pro will whip the heck out of the MacBook Pro.

The one place it is "suffering" to me is the amount of time is it taking to update the Mac Pro line.
    There was only 8 months between the recent MacBook Pro updates.
    So far it has been 11 months without an update with the Mac Pro line (except for an update to 8-cores at the high end for only 1500 bucks extra).

As much as I would love to see a new Mac Pro in July or August, I personally don't think we will see a new Mac Pro until November.

7. dotcomlarry macrumors regular

Oh, is it 32 GB now? With all this iPhone nonsense I must have missed that :rolleyes: j/k

8. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

It seems to me that Apple hasn't been upgrading the Macpros as often because they are not the money makers for Apple. The laptops, the ipods and now the iphones are the money makers. They are the ones that will get upgraded more often to keep with the trends. There might be a (small) price drop, an up in included ram but I'm not really seeing any big updates until perhaps november/december (ready for christmas sells) like Topper said.

Like everyone else said, the Macpro is still super powerful. The MBP have gained a lot of ground as of late closing the gap, but I'll trade mine in for a Macpro anyday.

PS: Anyone want to trade a 17" 2.33 C2D 2g Ram for a Macpro Quad?:D