Jim Jannard sells Oakley, not Red

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dex22, Jun 21, 2007.

1. dex22 macrumors regular

Jim Jannard has announced he's selling Oakley to Luxottica. He'll personally get a bit over $1 billion for it.

What do you tink this means for the Red camera and FCS2? Do you think he's going to invest all into the Red products, or go a different direction?

Commentary by Mike at hdforindies.com

2. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

I love my Oakleys. I've only worn Oakley's for almost 10 years.

But I still have yet to see a RED camera… so I don't know what to think about all this.
    :D

3. dex22 thread starter macrumors regular

We don't all get to go to NAB. Some of us are too busy working, and the rest of us just can't afford it. In my case, both.

Still, this does put Red in a gread position, not needing to seek outside investment.

I'm starting to think abut the Red->Mac Pro->deliverables workflow. Is it any surprise I'm waiting for MP updates? Handling raw 4K uncompressed footage?

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

But that's the beauty of the workflow Red has worked out (assuming it works as advertised of course). You may have shot 4k but you can work in a 2k, 1080, 720, or even 480 proxy of that 4k image that is generated in real time.

Lethal

5. dex22 thread starter macrumors regular

According to Mike over at HDForIndies, Jim at Red will make an announcement on Friday about delivery timescales...

As for workflow... What I *want* is to import the raw 4K footage, then work in ProRes and have it handle the EDLs for my deliverables behind the scenes...

Well, no, what I *want* is to just work with redcode, but the Mac Pro has a bit of a ways to go before that's a comfortable thing to do.

When I was talking about the workflow I was thinking more in terms of color correction, storage, and how long it takes to export converted resolutions from the 4K source material.