Jingling sound coming from CD drive??? help me please!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ronmaverick88, Apr 6, 2009.

1. ronmaverick88 macrumors member

I have a Alum MBP and as of late there is a strange Jingling sound coming from the CD drive side of the computer. It only happens when my MBP is sitting for a while and I lift it up. I baby sit a lot so I'm always taking my MBP all around the house. I hardly ever use my CD drive, I know I have not used it anymore than 20 times. There is nothing in it now either. I just got this last june. I have not dropped it recently or anything. I hve no idea what this noise could be.. It is coming from the right side where the USB ports and stuff are. It's almost like a popping noise. Like I said it happens the most when I flip it all around, like turning it upside down while it is asleep.

It almost sounds like something is inside the computer and caught up in the fan or something. It is not though.. well unless something came loose inside because I've been really careful to make sure nothing spills or gets inside this computer. Any ideas as to what it could be? It does not happen all the time, just on a few occasions. I am afraid if I drive all the way to the Apple Store (across town) I won't be able to replicate the sound. And I do not have backup to send it to the warehouse. I hope I can get this issue resolved here. Thanks!

2. RKpro macrumors 6502

If it happens when you lift it up suddenly, then it's the sudden motion sensor preparing your hard drive for impact. It's a safety feature.

3. ronmaverick88 thread starter macrumors member

but it sounds a bit violent. Sorta like when you forget there is a knife in the garbage disposal and it rattles and pops violently. That's what it sounds like on a smaller scale. Sounds like something is stuck or caught in something on the right side, but it's not around the fans.