Jittery Drop downs!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Aperture, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Hi Everyone. I'm working on a website with a fairly complex and in-depth drop down menu system. When I'm navigating deep down through the drop downs, though, I find my cursor often accidentally moves outside the drop down and the drop down quickly disappears. Is there a way I can add a 'bumper' to these menus so they won't be so fast to close up if the cursor happens to just pass outside the border?

If you don't understand what I mean, I can try and clarify. :)

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

One common way is using JavaScript. Not sure how easily it could be integrated with your existing setup though. If you wanted to go a CSS route you'd likely need a wrapper with some padding to reach out. I've never tried it though so not sure what would be needed specifically off hand.

Here's a good JavaScript one that makes use of jQuery. It even works properly when JavaScript disabled (by which I mean there's still a drop down effect, not the delay part).

3. Aperture thread starter macrumors 68000

Aperture

Thanks for idea... See, the problem is (I forgot to mention this) I am using the Suckerfish drop down which is CSS based. It does use some Javascript, but only for IE support.