Jittery HD .AVI?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Kardashian, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I've got a HD copy of Hancock from one of my BluRays which was ripped on Windows.

I've imported it onto my MacBook Pro, and I've gone to play it in Quicktime, and its very jittery.

Is there anything I can do to make sure it plays smoothly, like iTunes HD downloads?

Also, will converting it to MPEG4 help, as I know Quicktime doesn't play nice with AVI, and how would I do this?

Thanks!

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

What resolution is the movie and what codec is it using, and at what bitrate? AVI is just a wrapper like QuickTime so the codec could be anything. It could be the data rate is too high and can't read it all off disk in real time, or there could be something messed up with the encoding. When you say "jittery", do you mean more "flickery" or more "stuttery", or something else? I would definitely try making an h.264 at maybe 10,000 kbps or less, and reduce the resolution if necessary. If h.264 works for you, try downloading the (free) x264 codec for QuickTime, it's a little better than the QuickTime one IMO.

3. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

TBH, I've given up.

My friend who has Windows ripped my BR of Hancock.

For some reason, it was given back to me in 2 AVI's. The first one opened, and played fine in VLC once it repaired something (?) and the second wouldn't even open.

I tried so many programs to convert the first file (half way there, I thought) but they would either un-sync the sound further (this happened in Quicktime, it played fine in VLC) or, speed the video up so quick it ended before the sound.

IDK.

I guess I'll just wait and buy HD from the Apple Store.