Jittery HD video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by CMD is me, Aug 10, 2008.

1. CMD is me macrumors 6502

I just shot a couple hours of video with a new Sony HC9 HDV (tape). The video looks great, but the HD video at times looks jittery almost like steady shot is off (which it's not). The video just doesn't look real smooth at times, other times its great. It happens more with panning, but not exclusively. I've read AVCHD can have issues, but haven't read complaints about HDV.

2. -DH macrumors 65816

HDV uses MPEG-2 compression which doesn't handle fast movement very well due to the heavy compression.

-DH

3. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

Isn't standard def miniDV also MPEG-2

4. -DH macrumors 65816

No. Not at all. DV is compressed at a 5:1 ratio but is still a frame based video format. HDV isn't frame based, but rather a long GOP structure MPEG-2 compression format (compressed at a MUCH higher ratio than DV) ... which is why it's often converted to a frame based format (AIC or ProRes) for editing.

-DH

5. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

Will converting it to AIC (which you have to when editing in iMovie) smooth out the jerkiness or is this just the trade off to higher resolution in consumer cameras?

I watched a bit more of the footage. Standing stationary, shooting a moving subject (lets say a person) looks great. The stabilization is good. If the person moves around you and you follow them with the camera (sort of panning, but merely tracking your subject), the video often jerks/stutters (like you had one too many lattés). Or worse if the person is sitting and you walk around them shooting with the camera (very Blair Witch Project looking).

6. scotty1 macrumors newbie

My burnt idvd is really jittery!!!!!!!!Pls help

I edited my first video using imovie 8 exported to imoviehd (06) for chapter markings and then onto idvd to complete menus and burn.
    The camera I used is a dv handycam.
    On the computer the film looked sharp, but once burnt and played on my ps3, to my dissapointment the picture was jittery, almost slightly slow motion and looking very dated, I picked wide screen ratio by the way. any ideas.

Im filming a wedding for a friend this saturday and now im worried!!!!!

kind regards

Scotty

7. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

You may want to start another post on that topic. Include your camera info, etc. HDV and DV are very different technologies. I'll look for your post and add some suggestions.