Job Advice...Help!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puck8605, Feb 18, 2010.

1. puck8605 macrumors newbie

I just recently graduated from college and have been on the job hunt. I had an interview with a government agency last Friday and received a tentative offer yesterday. I had another interview with a different company in a completely unrelated industry on Tuesday and the interview went great. The job is absolutely perfect for me and has potential for a great salary and awesome growth, but they may not make a decision for a few weeks to a month.

I have to submit the tentative offer forms to the government agency by Monday or I lose the offer. At this point I don't want to officially accept the job because my heart is in the other opportunity I have. At the same time, I don't want to pass up a perfectly good job because I may have another chance.

I just want to clarify that if I submit the signed tentative offer papers to the government saying I intend to accept the job that it is not binding because it is not an official job offer (there is still a pre-employment process). They specifically say not to inform a current employer because the offer is tentative and may be rescinded. I am assuming that if they can rescind their offer, I can rescind my desire to work with them, correct?

This is a stressful time for me (huge life decisions are never fun), and I appreciate any advice. :cool:

2. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

A tentative offer is just that: tentative. I do not believe it is legally binding. Frankly, from my perspective, I've seen people start new jobs and the quit after a couple of weeks. So you may have options there, though I'll let some other experts here weigh in who may be more versed in the legality of these things.

But, and it is a pretty big but, look at your language in the first sentence. You really seem to want the other job. If I may offer you just one advice here, it is this: always go after what you're passionate about. You simply have to have your heart in what you do in order to succeed and to be happy with your accomplishments. Life is too short to just jump into any job (and there always is that ok job around) and to be mediocre.

Good luck! :)

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Most job interviews go well. That doesn't mean you'll be offered a job.

Did you tell the "dream job" interviewer about your dilemma? Maybe that company could give you a better idea if you have a chance of being offered a job. But, you know the situation best...

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Does the pre-employment screening involve a medical and security clearance ? If it does, receiving a conditional offer of employment is not binding. Only if you sign the actual papers at the end of the process will you be bound to repay any government expenses accrued over a certain period of time while you train, or whatever.

5. puck8605 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you all for the advice. yes, it does involve medical screening and a background check (although i have never even been pulled over so that won't be an issue). seems to me like a should go forward with the pre-employment process and if i get a FINAL offer, then i should contact the company i really want to work for and let them know what the situation is.

any recommendations on letting a company know you have another offer without hurting your chances at the job?

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

A background check is more than just checking to see if you got speeding tickets :0) Out of curiosity, what agency is this for (or can't you say)?

Eh. I personally would keep them totally separate. It's best not to burn bridges, and using one offer as leverage for another is more than a little dickish. "Business is business," but there's still something to be said about being courteous. It's also quite possible that if they find out you're under consideration for something else they won't give you an offer. "Commitment."

7. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I can only offer this advice, DO NOT let the other company know you have another offer. Unless you are a REALLY good catch, most will tell you to take a hike. In the company I work for, we were going to hire this controller, but she hinted has another offer, we didn't even call her back to let her know we are hiring someone else.

8. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I agree. Keep these issues separate.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Personally I would let company B know what is going on. Tell them you need to know a answer because you do have another offer on the table. The worse thing you run into is getting strung along and then no offer. Now you have no job.

Also remeber the economy is in the crapper right now so any hope of finding a job easily for the next 10 years throw it out the window.

Things are getting worse out there for jobs not better.

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I guess I wouldn't want to work there.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

That's what I was thinking too

Seems pretty unprofessional by the hiring company

12. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Trust me, alot of people would kill to work for my boss. ;)

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Id also go with letting company B know the situation, if the interview went well enough they might work with you.