Job Advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ghall, Jul 19, 2007.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I'm trying to get a job for the rest of the summer, and I found a Waldenbooks (a bookstore chain) looking to hire from now until September (perfect!). So I filled out an application and waited a few days. I gave the store a call and talked to the manager. I asked him if he had a chance to look over my application yet, and he said that he hadn't and he was busy and I should call again tomorrow. So I did. Same thing happened, except he said call next week.

This job is the only thing standing between me and a shiny new iPhone with some extra spending money. :D

2. Dandaman macrumors 6502

i would recommend looking around other places also instead of leaving all your eggs in one basket. instead of simply waiting around for the waldenbooks guy to call back, you could be interviewing somewhere else. just my 2 cents.

daniel

3. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

While you wait to call back, start looking elsewhere. Don't put all of your chickens in one basket. Or something like that...

Edit: LOL
    Thats what I meant...

4. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Well, I have been looking but this is the closest I've come. When I got the application he clearly stated that they were looking for someone to fill an open position. Everyplace else I applied to was just like "ho hum".

5. Dandaman macrumors 6502

what about going to the store and try to get an interview on the spot? If he's busy, tell him that you'll wait until his time frees up. It'll show him that you have some initiative.

daniel

6. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

What would be the best way to go about this? Should I go later today, or next week, or tomorrow, or what?

I'm a very shy person, and I had to spend hours just planning out what I was going to say, and trying to come up with a response to every possible situation I could think of just to call on the phone.

7. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i'm in a similar bind, i applied for a job that starts next month, and waiting right now to see if i get called back for interview. and if i don't get a callback, i'll probably have to start making plans to move, since it's really the only job in the area i can take.

8. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

There is a fine line between showing initiative and pestering the manager. it is very hard for us to know which the manager would consider it since we didn't hear his tone of voice on the phone or how he asked you to call back next week. I definitely do not recommend waiting too long because when you wait for things to happen they just don't seem to materialize.

Good luck!

On a side note: I love Waldenbooks. They used to offer an "Other Worlds Club" that would give you 15% off all fantasy books and Science Fiction stuff. The club had a lifetime membership and even though they do not offer it anymore, they still honor the discount, though most of the employees have never seen a card before and do not know how to process it.

9. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Thanks.

If I get the job, I will learn how to process those cards just for you. :)

10. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

That would be great.

11. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

devil's advocate: Isn't it kind of late to start looking for a summer job? :confused:

12. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I think so. But I've been looking for the past few months, so it's not like I just started. :)

13. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I say bug the hell out of them till you get a definite "You've got the job," but try not to be annoying.

It worked for me. I got declined for my first job ever and I came back the next day because I didn't like the attitude the interviewer had, they hired me. It's only a 2 week job which is probably why they said fine we'll hire you, but I guess it might work for other jobs.

14. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Glad to hear this worked for you !
    I'd say this is generally not the best way to get a job - the manager, more than likely, isn't motivated to stop what he is doing and look at applications until he is making the store's shift schedule and has problems filling all the necessary *****. in the mean time, wait a couple of days, amybe Monday of next week - and then go by the store and introduce yourself in person. Just a firendly "Hey - we spoke on the phone last week and I wanted to follow up on my job application. " Be dressed sharp - pressed pants and a shirt, and shake his hand - look him in the eye.
    The non verbal signals you give him in person will be way more powerful than a phone call.

Good luck !