Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
So i've been doing IT consulting (Systems Engineer) for the past 9 months and i'm yet to receive full-time or any perks. I usually get 1-2 days off per week w/ no work, so avging about 20 hrs a week. Sometimes I get 30, sometimes 35. It pays 20/hr with mileage reimbursed. My plan was to wait till my year was up then for all the perks.

But recently an opportunity showed up. A friend of mine is leaving his data mining/analysis gig and it pays almost double w/ all the perks.

I'm torn because my IT job (imo) is a bit more enjoyable than the Data gig. It's not to say the Data gig is boring, just not as refreshing because I did it b4.

My buddy keeps telling me it shouldn't be about the money, but given my circumstances, it's difficult to neglect the money portion. I told him, if both gigs paid the same, i would choose IT.

Another thing is, one of my bosses is leaving for a two week vacation in a week and the other one is having his first born in a couple weeks. And the data gig needs someone....like...NOW. So the timing couldn't be any worse :(

Basically, my heart is saying IT and my mind is saying Data. I know I know, I should do what I like, but that doesn't really say much.

Iono :confused:

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
So the difference is only that the current job is a bit more enjoyable?

If there was more of a difference, I'd say go with what you really enjoy; If the difference really is only marginal, then will the extra benefits and money be more enjoyable as well? eg: Nicer vacations, more treats, a nicer suit, blah blah.

At 20-30 hours a week, you can't expect benefits anyway, but the mileage reimbursement is really sweet. :)

I'd go with the money, being as you say there's only a bit of a difference in Job Likability. If the Job Likability was a bit heavier, I'd say stick with that.

Ask yourself: In two/three years will either job be more/less likable? Will the better-paying job have provided other benefits (aforementioned nice car, etc) that I really enjoy having?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Well, go in and state your case for full time now -- if you have a job opportunity paying double and if it is also full time.

Bosses will understand that employees will either need more hours or money, or risk them going to a better paying job with more hours.

The timing for asking for more hours or money cannot be better for you if they are in a bind with key people taking off.

Usually the"we will see later" isn't a firm statement (and will almost always keep getting put off), a temporary raise or hour increase is usually something to make it worthwhile to stay...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.