Job *Dun dun duuuu*

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aranince, May 11, 2008.

1. Aranince macrumors 65816

I reckon its high time I get a job. I am 17 years old, but was recently in a car accident(caused) so if I want to drive, I probably will need to pay for my own insurance and for a car...after this accident we most likely wont be able to insure me.

I would like to avoid working at a store or restaurant, if a all possible, and try to do freelance computer stuff, but I'm not sure if thats a viable option. I know PHP, MySQL, XHTML, and CSS so I'm thinking I can do some freelance web work. Is this a good idea, or should I go for a more solid answer?

Web sites I've created:
    www.ccrsmyouth.com
    www.williamsonandassociates.com

2. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Picking up freelance work may take some time to 'work into' having enough steady work week to week. Freelancing your own clients takes alot more time than you think - and you have to where all the hats in the process: Sales, Development, Design, Q&A, Billing, etc.

If you were referring to freelance contract work, every 'big' design house keeps a list of contractors they send their overflow work to. Start by contacting them and asking about their contractor agreements and if you can be kept in mind when they need some grunt work. You're not going to start out with design and cushy work doing this though. Contract work starts out pretty slow and comes in fits and starts.

Also, make connections. This business is about connection, connections, connections. Things only picked up for me after I met this guy who worked for SolutionSet in San Francisco and got me some work that way. I don't work with him anymore, though.

3. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Depending if you close enough to one, try Best Buy, The geek Squad. They always need help. (Trust me on that one)