Job interview advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Mar 20, 2008.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I need help deciding what to wear to a job interview. You may think I'm nuts for even asking that, and it should be fairly obvious, but read on.

A company is flying me up to their HQ next week for the interview. In the e-mails they sent me, they told me that I'm welcome to dress casually, as that's their dress code. And from what I've read about the company online from employees there, when they mean casual, they're not kidding. A t-shirt, shorts and sandals are acceptable dress (now that I can live with :D) as long as you're not meeting with clients.

Now, I frankly don't care if you're interviewing to be the CEO of the largest company in the world, or burger flipper at McDonalds. A t-shirt, shorts and sandals are not acceptable for a job interview. At first, I thought that I'd wear a suit anyways, but then I realized that it would make me stand out (perhaps not in a good way) and I would look like I ignored their instructions and didn't do any research about the company. So now I'm thinking business casual....nice shoes and pants, as well as a polo or button down shirt. It's right there in the middle of the two, but I'm still not quite convinced.....when you think interview, you think a nice suit and all that. What are your thoughts on that and what would you do in that situation? Thanks.

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

"business casual" sounds reasonable considering they brought it up in the first place. Being obviously way overdressed at an interview can lead to your acting uncomfortable during the interview and that's not going to help you. Maybe slacks and a jacket, either with or without a tie might be the way to go

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I think business casual sounds perfect for the situation.

...You don't want to be that guy from Pirates of the Silicon Valley who's harassed by the bare-footed Steve Jobs for being uptight.

4. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

Just pick a tasteful Polo, and wear some Khakis and dress shoes. You'll be fine, from what it sounds like!

5. ccwilli3 macrumors member

where is the interview? West coast/silicon valley? Or elsewhere? That matters IMO...

6. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Wisconsin.

Thanks guys, I'll do business casual

7. Frisco macrumors 68020

Just wear a shirt and tie. It can't hurt. Why take the chance with a Polo?