Job interview tomorrow. What to expect?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Voidness, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Voidness macrumors 6502a

Voidness

I have a phone interview tomorrow for a Mac software developer job at RIM. This is my first opportunity at such a high profile tech company, so obviously I'm very ecstatic! :)

I need some advice on what to expect. I already passed the first interview, so tomorrow's interview should be more technical. I've done a lot of C++ and web development in the past, and recently I did some iPhone software development. I haven't done any professional development in the past, only for school and personal projects.

2. RudyGrow macrumors regular

The questions you need to worry about are the strength/weakness ones. You don't want to sound cocky, but you also have to be honest.

3. ethical macrumors 68000

I'm guessing you put all your technical experience on your CV? If so, then they've read that and think you're technically able to perform the tasks (providing you haven't lied too much :p). So they know you can do the work...they just need to decide if they want you to do it. That's what you need to convince them of. My $0.02
    Good luck :)

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its pretty common place for software development jobs to give you a task via email to be completed in an allotted time period.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Exactly. A phone interview is the first personal contact you'll have, so the emphasis needs to be put on personal. Sure, you need to confirm the experience that you put in your resume, but there are other skills and attributes being put on display.

What is your energy level? Your general mood? Do you listen? Can you form coherent thoughts? Do you get to the point, or do you ramble? Are your answers too short and incomplete?

A lot can be gleaned from a twenty minute phone conversation. In the end I think two things are taken away from the interview:
    1. Did you contradict your resume or raise some suspicion regarding it?
    2. Did they like you?​

If they liked you, they'll pull you in for the personal interview.

Don't be nervous. Don't be cocky. Don't be shy or submissive.

Be engaging. Be friendly. Be positive.

And go git 'em tiger!

6. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

One of my favourite examples was an internet security company who sent the application form encrypted (nothing too strong). You had to break it open before the deadline :)

7. ethical macrumors 68000

Haha that's brilliant!

8. Voidness thread starter macrumors 6502a

Voidness

Thank you all for the advice. I did the interview this morning, and it went very well. :) I was told that I should hear from the recruiter soon for a possible personal interview.

Hehe! :) I didn't get anything by e-mail. So maybe they're going to give me a task if I go for a personal interview.