Job listing: "Facebook is a plus"?!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jknight8907, Jul 10, 2009.

1. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

:confused:

Uh.....what?

2. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

They want pictures of the waitresses to see if they are pretty enough.

3. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

So basically they are saying they want to know all about you, your friends, you habits, and they way they are going to find that all out is through face book. So maybe it is like a background check? I have no idea...

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I couldn't work for a company who listed a qualification as "facebook".

Morons.

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Hah. That's certainly a shifty and suspicious qualification. Just about anything proposed in the thread could be a reason they want you to have facebook. Why not just have you interview before deciding if you look the part?

I would call about the position simply to find out why they want you to have facebook. Pretty hard to take seriously I think. :p

6. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

Having an interview takes time. If they have a facebook link they can just weed out the "uglies" and only interview the people that are good looking enough.

7. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I would guess that they promote their bar/club/restaurant through Facebook and would like their staff to able to do likewise. (Set up groups, events, upload photos to the establishments Facebook page, and so on.)

There's nothing sinister about it.

8. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

That's exactly it. Facebook is a very good way of marketing yourself, depending, of course, on your particular profession.

9. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

It seems a way for someone who is hiring to find out answers to questions that it is illegal to ask.

10. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

There's always that. But then, you can't trust what you read on the Internet.:rolleyes:

11. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

12. Vogue Harper macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

Whether it is stated explicitly in the advert or not, a lot of employers and certainly a lot of professional recruitment agencies will try to covertly build an online profile of a prospective candidate from sources such as Facebook, MySpace, Twitter etc. If you make information public on these sites, then people will find out about it which depending on what the information is, will either work in your favour or not.

13. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I find it strange they would say that in the application, but I do not find the implementation of Facebook into the workplace strange at all. Most of the employees where I work have Facebook, and they are linked to the business they work at on Facebook. But it's more of a marketing tool for us, rather than a detective tool. It's much easier to send marketing material out online than it is on paper. But I have never looked at my co-workers Facebook to try to dig up stuff about them.

Dude, this is just the future coming on us...

14. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

^^ If anybody wanted to find stuff about me they would come here or my website which is not that personal. Although about all you could find about me is that I have a PB G4 and have modified my OS and my iBook is broken. Maybe where I live if you dug through it. I'v never had myspace/facebook/twitter ever so that is useless for finding stuff about me. YouTube just has 3 videos and 1 of them is an apple commercial and the other two are instruction videos. You could not find a single picture of me on here. But plenty of my computers/cats. You might be able to find pictures of me on my scout troops website.*

* which I am not telling which one

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Which is completely against the law in the US. Not sure about Mexico.

I'm rather ugly but yet I have a pretty stellar job. Guess that makes me awesome!

16. jknight8907 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

To clarify, this job was posted in the Memphis, TN ads.