Job Offer Pending... Yet no response?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Texas04, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Alright so I am going to keep this stuff anonymous... but here is the problem that I need advice for...

So back at the beginning of this year I put my resume and a good word from a friend into a highly visible company and it gets put in the HR dept.
    I was told to check back at the 2nd quarter because there may be a job offering. I e-mail and get a response to wait a little longer because the internship has not been developed yet.

I wait and then e-mail again, and am told that interns have already been hired... however, that a new contract is coming up and that they may need my help then. At this point I am slightly excited. I am told to e-mail back at the beginning of a month and I do, but I get no response.

I e-mail again in about 3 weeks when I see that a major contract went through and still... no response. I call a week and a half later, leave a message, and never get a call back. I e-mailed again a week and a half later, and still have not received a response.

I am slightly new to the whole "major corporation" business thing... but what should I do? I have not been told that there are no positions or that they are no longer hiring, likewise I have not received any type of response saying that they are not interested in me anymore. Do I continue to e-mail... or just let it go?

Thanks for the advice!

2. khammack macrumors regular

First thing, they went through a complete hiring cycle and didn't even call you for an interview. Which means that a lot of resumes looked more attractive to them than yours.

Fix your resume.

My standard advice here is to imagine someone in HR is sifting through a stack of 300 resumes and looking to forward 10 of those to the hiring manager. This HR person has a copy of the job description, which he/she compares to each resume. He/she is late for lunch, and gets bored if your resume doesn't look like a strong match after skimming halfway down the page.

With that in mind, go get yourself the text of a currently-hiring job description from this company's website, rework your resume using any key phrases from job description that match your skill set (so the HR person will recognize these phrases easily), and resubmit your resume.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont respect companies that dont respect my time

4. mwchris macrumors regular

Maybe Next Time

While I would agree that it is frustrating not hearing from a company one way or the other. The fact that your are dealing with a "Major Corporation" this doesn't surprise me. Unfortunately, this is much more common that you think. If you really want the position, continue to be persistent, however, don't be pushy. On the other hand, you have to realize that since it is a "Major Corporation" they do go through 100's if not 1000's of of applications and it is very difficult to send that many responses either positive or negative. Personally, I would cut my loses, but since I do not know you personally or what you are going for it is hard to say. (Meaning are you in college, currently have a job and just looking to get in with a big company, etc.)

As one person mentions I would suggest reworking your resume and apply again.

Also, if possible actually visit the company (sometimes this is not looked highly upon), or give your connection a call and see if there is someone else he can talk to or someone he can recommend you talk to.

That is somewhat of a childish response. Those companies do not owe you anything. While time is valuable to us all, you are the one interested in the company thus it is your decision to apply with them. They did not ask you to apply, so any time you spend is your choice.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well even when i apply for large corporations (lockheed, bmw, etc), i get a response back either an email or call. i dont think it is unreasonable to be shown some courtesy if they (the hr dept)have spoken to you about a job offer before as the case the op is experiencing

6. Texas04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Texas04

To follow up:

I e-mailed my contact right before I posted this and am currently waiting for his response.

I would be considered a "college intern" type.

And thank you for that information about the resume. That is a useful tip! I just want to be sure I am not being an annoying kid wanting a job. This is why I am waiting 2 weeks or so between each e-mail and expressing my understanding of a delay in a couple of the last e-mails I sent.