Job opportunity

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by thekb, Feb 14, 2015.

1. thekb macrumors 6502a

So I've got a chance at a job change within my organization. It'll be about ten percent increase, but probably a lot more stress and responsibility. Am I crazy because I am thinking about staying put?

2. diegie macrumors member

No, you should do what you want and like to do.
    Money isn't everything in this world, and certainly doesn't buy you happiness.
    Think with your "guts", not with your wallet.

3. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

+1. I agree 100%. More stress (for 10% increase) will have negative effect on your personal life and health in the long run. That's an experience of decades, not just a comment. ;)

4. thekb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well... I'd like to say I love my current job but I cant. I'm just worried I'd like this new one less.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

If you have been offered a promotion and don't take it, you could effectively be telling your current employer you lack ambition.
    Why not take the job and see how it goes. If it goes well and suits you, you could ask for a raise. If not you could still look for another job elsewhere. Plus having been promoted in your current job, shows any future employers you have the ability to move within the company.

6. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Yeah, this. Your card will be marked if you don't play it right.

Talk to HR, make flattered/grateful noises, and using your saddest eyes explain why you don't believe you and the new position are a good match and that you'd sooner wait for a (realistic) promotion opportunity in another (specified) area (or areas) of the company.

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

When I look at positions I always look at what they can be leveraged into. I can suck it up for a year or two if I can turn the position into something better.

8. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

If I was going to work a job I didn’t like, I’d make sure I was being paid as much as possible :D

Hey, you might not get a chance to move forward again, but I’m sure you can always move backwards. :)

9. thekb thread starter macrumors 6502a

I also don't want to be a victim of the Peter Principle.

10. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Good feedback in this thread already.

However, it may also depend on the $ amount. A 10% increase on a $100k/yr salary may be worth the extra stress. However, a 10% increase on a $35k/yr salary may not quite justify the added stress and responsibility.

Also, is this a lateral type "job change" within the organization, or is this more of a promotion? You need to consider the long term impact of changing positions. Maybe this new position would get you experience and give you a better chance at a bigger promotion later on?

11. puma1552 macrumors 601

if you dont take it youll be blacklisted

id take it, if it works out great and if it doesnt you can either leave with a promotion on your resume or you could probably demote yourself back to your old position which you dont even really like, so theres not much to lose.

12. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Heh, I take the opposite view. A 10% increase in a modest salary can easily double your discretionary spend; moving from earning $10k a month to $11k a month could go more or less unnoticed unless you're mortgaged and alimonied up to the eyeballs.

13. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

That's a good point. I did the math, and with a 10% increase on a $35k/yr salary, after knocking off 30% for taxes, you would end up bringing home about another $200/mo. Which, for someone on that type of income, could make a big difference. My car payment is $280/mo, so an extra $200/mo would make a big difference!