Job related question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by renixomba, Mar 17, 2010.

1. renixomba macrumors newbie

I graduated last June with a BSME. I couldn't find a job of any sort except tutoring and sign holding. I did that for a while. Well my fortune turned and I landed a job as a full time Mechanical Engineer for a local company. My salary is only 30k and I'm expected to pull in long hours w/ no vacation/sick days until after a full yr. Even then its only 1 week/yr thereafter... I'm very happy they took me in but I recently heard back from a 62k/yr internship w/ great benefits I applied to a couple of months ago.

Of course I don't know if I'll get the internship so should I even bother to follow up for an interview? Is it even right to jump ship after working for only a month? I feel bad and I don't know what to do. How am I supposed to even request for a day off for an interview(current company is extremely strict).

Am I currently happy? Yes...I feel fortunate. It's a small happy company but there's a huge language barrier btw me and the sr. engineers training me. The work they do isn't that interesting either....

2. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

It's business. Of course you should do whatever you can to improve your situation especially right out of school. Take a Ferris sick day or whatever it takes to land the internship that pays double. Sounds like your current gig isn't so great anyway. Have no loyalty, you're not married. You're too young to really be worried about burning bridges. Man, I'm jaded. :eek:

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

heck yes you better interview

sounds like your current company is paying way below industry average

anyone with a right mind would at least explore what the other job has, esp when the pay is double with alot better benefits!

do not think that you are hurting your company's feelings.

4. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

How long is the internship for? It's nice that it pays so much but if they kick you out of there in a few months when it's over you may want to consider staying at your present place and quietly looking for another job.

Jumping ship so quickly looks very bad on resumes so if you do decide to go for it, you should avoid mentioning current job on the resume altogether. I remember that when I graduated with a CS degree in 2004 market was down too and it took me around 9 months to land a decent job so this is fairly normal and you won't look too bad.

5. renixomba thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a 2 yr internship program w/ a Navy division. Permanent employment after the program is very likely unless I'm really terrible. They will pay for my student loans I accumulated during my undergrad yrs. They are also willing to pay for grad school if I want to continue my education. Enticing huh?

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You don't have to put the short-term job on your resume.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If you don't go for it, you're nuts.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Sorry $30k or $62k in CA? You can't live on $30k in much of CA unless you're rural or living with 4 others. Frankly I am unsure why this is even a question.

Interview for the other job. You're young, it's time to build a resume, not play nice nice at some low-paying job because you're emotionally attached to it.

9. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

it never hurts to interview for a new job, especially one so promising. You don't owe your current employer anything as it appears to me that they are taking advantage of the fact you couldn't find anything else. Good luck.

10. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Interview!!!

30K is barely livable.

60k+ would make for pretty comfortable living for a single person (I am not sure about cali specifically though)

GO FOR IT. Call in sick. Whatever you have to do. You are young and your time is now, so take every opportunity you see !

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

This is the kind of job people should expect you to quit as soon as you can find something better (and honestly you can't do much worse than the situation you described here). Go for the internship, most definitely.