Job Search Advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bag99001, May 1, 2019.

1. bag99001 macrumors member

Hello - I am a school administrator working in a "right-to-work" state and am leaving my current job this summer. I am having very little response to my applications so far unfortunately and am looking for advice. I believe my resume is strong except that I am leaving after one year due to a very unhealthy environment. I have a letter of recommendation from my assistant superintendent but the principal is the cause of my leaving so she is not on my reference list. Past job principals provided me letters but I am leaving after just one year so it looks "bad" in the education field. Is there any advice anyone could offer to help me get some more interest for my applications?

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

First of all, don't borrow trouble. The reason you are getting little response likely has nothing to do with your only having a year at a single school. In our district, administrators come and go at the whim of those above them. Staying a year at a school here means nothing.

More likely is the overabundance of administrators these days. We're in the middle of a huge teacher shortage, and a percent leave every year to pursue being administrators.

Are you looking within a single school system, or a broader area?

3. bag99001 thread starter macrumors member

I'm looking throughout two different states and applying to every appropriate job.

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Just keep at it. Depending on the school calendars in your area, we're only just getting to the time of year for administrative moves. Or as I like to call it down here, the administrative shuffle.

Good luck!

5. Scepticalscribe, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019

Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Appalling advice; encouraging outright lying on a resumé is dreadful, both morally and from a practical perspective.

Lies on a resumé are never a good look, and, personally, I'd terminate the employment of someone if I discovered such a thing, as trust, and respect would be absent from any subsequent professional relationship.

To the OP: Good luck, and don't focus on the drawbacks of your current position; think of the positives of your current job, what you have learned there and what you hope to learn from (and bring to) your next position.

6. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Lololol.

Experience: I have 22 dog years of experience in all relevant areas
    References: See attached letter from my mother

7. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

Don’t add anything to a resume that cannot be supported. Most employers do reference checks, so any false info will be vetted out.

I have worked in HR for over 30 years and the short term jobs will definitely affect whether you get an interview or not. Definitely send emails and add your letters of recommendation. You also need a really good cover letter that goes into detail about all your positives and why they should hire you (how you can support the team). If you have good annual reviews use some of the language from the reviews, “go to person”, “dependable”, “gets the job done”, etc.

Be persistent and when you do get an interview and are asked about the short term employment stints, be careful not to bash your former employers. Always stay positive.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is almost the end of the school year, a busy time for teachers/students/administrators. It could take a little longer than usual.