Job search related question!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Loves2spoon, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

So Let's say I worked for a company for 1.5 years and I put down that I worked there for 3.5 years. The company is now closed down. Is there a way for the new company I'm applying for to check how long I actually worked there?

I'd rather not lie on my resume but I've had the opportunity to travel for 2 years and not have to work. But I don't want them to know that.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I wouldn't do it. You never know if the person who would hire you at the new company knows the owner of the old company. Lies will always come back to bite you in the ass.

3. Loves2spoon thread starter macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

New company = Cell company applying for. Old company = Huge electronics retailer that will stay nameless... lol

4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

While they won't be able to contact the company directly, obviously, there are most likely still public records and other information online that will clearly show that the company no longer existed for a portion of the time you will have claimed to work there. Also, it might be possible for them to still reach former co-workers to check on your time there through business networking sites like LinkedIn.com.

I used to work in HR and have worked at companies where we would immediately disregard, withdraw offers from, or fire candidates/employees who were found to have lied on their resume/application. Having taken time off to travel is far less of an issue in a candidate's background than lying to a potential employer from the start and says a great deal about the type of person you are.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It can come back to bite you in the rear. If at any point they find out the truth they can fire you on the spot and you will not be able to collect unemployment and will not be eligible for rehire which is a bigger black mark that not working for 2 years.

As for the blank spot as long as you can explain it they are generally happy with it. Also remember the economy is in a depression right now.

Any blank spot from 2007 - 2012ish no one will bat an eye at. Economy is 14 mil jobs short of were it needs to be and risings at a very high rate of speed.
    The true unemployment rate in this country is over 20%

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Why wouldn't you want them to know that? I mean, unless you spent the 2yrs running guns or something.

I also agree to not lie on your resume. You have no idea if something as mundane as the off hand comment from a friend of a friend of a friend could end up exposing the lie.

Lethal

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You still don't know who knows who. I work at a telecommunications company. I have a cousin who is a waiter at a local family owned restaurant with only one location. Two entirely different jobs. If I were the hiring manager here, and someone applied with a resume that said they worked at the restaurant that my cousin works at for 3 years while in college, you bet your ass I'd check with my cousin to see if he knows that person and what kind of worker he is, if my cousin said "he was a good employee but he only worked here for 1 year" I'd throw that resume in the trash.

All I'm saying is you don't know who knows who. Or for all you know, the person above the hiring manager on the chain of command at the cell company who you haven't met yet could be your former manager at Circuit City. It's not worth it. In fact, if I was the hiring manager, I think I'd be more interested in someone who traveled around the world the past 2 years than someone who worked at Circuit City for those 2 years.

8. bamaworks macrumors 6502

Won't tax records and background checks show your employment dates? I know when I have applied for loans and the like I've been asked "Which of the following places were you employed 'Dec 2006-Jan 2008'?"