Jobs and Iger on Disney and Pixar

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider posts some excerpts from a CNBC interview with both Steve Jobs and Disney CEO Bob Iger.

Jobs of course promises "a pretty exciting next five years", but also makes an interesting comment on animation films:

"You may watch your favorite live action film three, four, or five times in your life," said Jobs. "But for a great animation film, your kids may watch it a dozen or a hundred times."
Jobs opinion may be evolving. In the past he did not distinguish animation films from other films, and used a similar argument against the utility of portable video players:

But how many times in your life do you watch a movie? Most people probably wouldn’t watch even their favorite movies ten times in their lives, and therefore are don’t buy nearly as many movies as they do songs or CD’s.
This time, he states that he expects movies on these portable devices may play an important role in the future. Recent rumors/speculation has claimed that Apple may release an "actual" Video iPod this year.

Incidentally, of note, Bob Iger states that he has seen "Cars" and said it was one of the best films he'd ever seen.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
I totally agree

i totally agree with all jobs says, people dont watch movies all to many times in thier lives. Granted we all have a favorite that we may watch over and over again, but generally, we only watch them a handful of times.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
SiliconAddict said:
Ehh. I don't know. This is the first Pixar film that I haven't been all that interested in.
NASCAR is the #1 "sport" in the US, is it not? Other forms of car racing are popular all over the world.

I'm sure it'll do well. However, I think this movie may be more for kids than for adults, whereas the previous movies seemed to made for both.

However, we've only seen a trailer - too early to tell.

qevlhma

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2005
cars?

I also agree.. this is the first pixar movie I am not interested in.

Talking cars sounds a lot lame to me.

pacohaas

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
Macrumors said:

This time, he states that he expects movies on these portable devices may plan an important role in the future.
just a typo, although, maybe he is planning an important role in one of disney's movies, and not playing it.

MacFan782040

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2003
Scranton, PA
qevlhma said:
I also agree.. this is the first pixar movie I am not interested in.

Talking cars sounds a lot lame to me.

It reminds me of Thomas the Tank engine. HAHAH...but... I thought Incredibles was gonna suck when I saw the trailer too.

It'll be good.

Edit-- With the Aquire of Pixar by Disney, what does this mean for Toy Story 3? (2008)

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
topgunn said:
And one more thing...Cars will break all the records already held by Pixar.
Not sure.. the trailer didn't/doesn't do anything for me... I know I am one person, but this is just a hunch.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Apple's/Jobs' stance on movies, and portable video, is bound to evolve as the market evolves.

Look at the concept of a video-centric iPod (less portable, bigger screen). It would have been a flop last year and the media would have had a field day pointing at Apple's mega-blunder or whatever they'd call it.

Instead, Apple smartly just threw video in as a free "extra" on MUSIC iPods. And gradually introduced video content in iTunes.

It wasn't a dramatic one-day revolution, but it was exactly the right strategy. They tested the market and in large part CREATED the market (as a viable mainstream high-volume concept). And so in a year (or sooner), with even more content out there and the idea of portable video catching on more, Apple COULD release a video-centric iPod, and this time it would not flop.

P.S. I've never cared for any of the 3D animated movies, from Pixar or anyone else. I haven't seen them all, maybe half a dozen, but they don't do much for me. That's OK, they're just not my thing. I'm sure they'll keep selling well. (I do have Toy Story in my NetFlix queue since it was written by the creator of Serenity.)

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
jacobj said:
Not sure.. the trailer didn't/doesn't do anything for me... I know I am one person, but this is just a hunch.
I am going to be the third person to weigh in and say that the trailer didn't do anything for me either. That being said, you can't even call it a trailer. Its much more of a teaser than a trailer. Lets wait for the real thing...

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
jaredbbauer said:
Well if your not interested than it must be a flop! :)
Exactly... I'm more interested in Cars than I was in Finding Nemo and I was pleasantly suprised by Finding Nemo. Cars should be great.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I can't imagine Cars catching on like Nemo did.

Jobs opinion may be evolving...
It looks like his statement was carefully worded to stay in sync with what he had said previously. However, I know plenty of adults (with more free time than me) who watch their favorite DVD movie ten times over a year or two, much more than "ten times in their lives", so I don't agree with Steve's assessment. More importantly, people will buy movies if they think they will watch them many times, whether or not they actually do.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
jaredbbauer said:
Well if your not interested than it must be a flop! :)
I never said that but I'm found that my taste in Disney movies is pretty much inline with the rest of America. Things that I liked pretty much did well in the theatres. Thinks that I sort of liked, Chicken Little as an example, did OK in the theatres. Thinks I avoided like the plague, Home On The Range as an example, bombed. *shrugs* No arrogance here. I'm just noting a trend.

longofest said:
I am going to be the third person to weigh in and say that the trailer didn't do anything for me either. That being said, you can't even call it a trailer. Its much more of a teaser than a trailer. Lets wait for the real thing...
The real thing came out with Narnia. It filled in some holes to the point that, for me, it went from "avoid it like the plague" to "OK that doesn't look TOO bad". I'm still in the meh stage so we'll see. No doubt I'm going to see it anyways but its not like the Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Monster's Inc, etc that I saw on opening day.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
My company was talking about doing a promotional tie-in with Cars for one of our clients. My creative team was privy to see an extended trailer of Cars. It was about two minutes longer than what's currently online. Judging by what I've seen so far I'm just not into it at all. The old Warner Brothers cartoons with the emoting/talking cars were funnier. I'll reserve final judgement for once it's completed and in theaters but right now it seems really dumbed down for the bargain basement Nascar crowd.

neutrix

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2006
Can someone host this in quicktime?

Could someone please record the frikkin' thing from MSNBC? Somebodies gotta have a PC out there that could do it. Gawd... how many people read about this stuff yet no one will host a quicktime video of it so all us mac heads locked out of MSNBC can actually veiw the interveiw?
C'mon!
The video's here
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11003466/
someone please host this in quicktime...
:)

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
neutrix said:
Could someone please record the frikkin' thing from MSNBC? Somebodies gotta have a PC out there that could do it. Gawd... how many people read about this stuff yet no one will host a quicktime video of it so all us mac heads locked out of MSNBC can actually veiw the interveiw?
C'mon!
The video's here
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11003466/
someone please host this in quicktime...
:)

It requires IE6 which I refuse to use on principle so sorry. No go.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
Doctor Q said:
I can't imagine Cars catching on like Nemo did.

It looks like his statement was carefully worded to stay in sync with what he had said previously. However, I know plenty of adults (with more free time than me) who watch their favorite DVD movie ten times over a year or two, much more than "ten times in their lives", so I don't agree with Steve's assessment. More importantly, people will buy movies if they think they will watch them many times, whether or not they actually do.
sure, we adults watch some movies 10, 20 times over a few years...but jobs is right that children can watch "finding nemo" every day for two months. it's not the actual numbers that matter, but the idea that animated films probably have a lot more repeat viewing than live-action films do because of the viewing habits of children.

topgunn

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
Surprised no one has mentioned that Dreamworks (whom Microsoft partnered with) was bought for only $1.6 Billion.

Pixar was bought for over 7x more.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
aricher said:
My company was talking about doing a promotional tie-in with Cars for one of our clients. My creative team was privy to see an extended trailer of Cars. It was about two minutes longer than what's currently online. Judging by what I've seen so far I'm just not into it at all. The old Warner Brothers cartoons with the emoting/talking cars were funnier. I'll reserve final judgement for once it's completed and in theaters but right now it seems really dumbed down for the bargain basement Nascar crowd.
I thought the trailer on Apple's website was pretty good. Made me laugh, especially the comment about the 60's not being good to the guy.. that was funny.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Did anybody actually see this interview? Steve and Iger were taped in front of a black backdrop, and as Steve was wearing his typical black shirt, it looked like Iger and a floating head. Creepy...