Jobs backs down and the hackers win..... or do they?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by one1, Mar 7, 2008.

1. one1 macrumors 65816

In every key note Jobs has spoken to the public about the iPhone. It's always been about the public consumer. Yesterdays keynote was focused entirely on the commercial customers of the iphone with NO mention of the lowly consumers at all.

What was supposed to be a model business plan to sell apps developed by apple for the iphone was burned to the ground by hackers breaking the iphone in two weeks or less every time a new firmware was released.

Quite honestly I believe Jobs gave up, released the SDK so he could make SOME money off the apps rather than none, and started to shift focus to corporate applications instead and leave the hackers to play with the general public.

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I don't know what keynote you were watching... It certainly wasn't geared to consumers, but consumers were mentioned a number of times.

I don't know why you would think this. Sure, Apple wants to make a profit off of apps, but they also want to make a profit off of phone sales too. Why wouldn't Apple want to release an SDK so that the iPhone could be the most enticing product that it can be?

3. rfrankl macrumors 6502

Maybe its just me, but I think Apple is not fighting the unlocking that hard until they hit their 10 million sales goal and get the corporate world going. After that, I have to believe, just like DirecTV finally did with their satellite cards, they can lock people's phones up for good.

4. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

There was clearly a focus point and that is all that matters. "honorable mention" doesn't cut it when you look towards the future. Jobs has obviously given the iphone's public future to the consumers and decided to work with corporate business environments as his focus. The devs, hackers, consumers will take care of themselves with the SDK. Apple just gave up and stepped out of the way of the inevitable.

5. iPegboy macrumors regular

Huh? They talked about how these are things "consumers want" and that is why they are moving forward with it.

Of the potential programs showed off, they did two video games and a chat feature (which many thought wouldn't be possible because of AT&T's objection as it would take away from text messages). Are games part of some sort of grand business plan? Do you really think Super Monkey Ball is going to geared towards CEO types?

6. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

its a nice idea to think that apple is going to ease off stopping unlocking! i suppose once apple deal with the apps, there will be no need for jailbreaking... and people will just use apps like iNdependance to unlock. i'm sure apple would do much better if they let unlockers upgrade to 2.0 straight off, or even added some features to 'genuine' customers that are so good, that people really will want to go ligit.

this could include wi-max, 700mhz, unlimited minutes/data...

7. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

I kind of felt dissed by all the attention to the corporate market too. I mean hell, we're the ones who have been using the thing since July/August? But then I realized too that most or all of the wants of us users will probably be fulfilled through the SDK. Making the iPhone attractive to the business market will only make it more popular. More popular equals more apps and solutions.

Like the 2.0 update? :)

8. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I totally want to see a CEO at a press conference going "Hold on a sec, not done yet with Super Monkey Ball....damn! Ok, now we can start."

9. iFerd macrumors 6502a

Maybe, but adding enterprise support might let me keep using my iPhone. I've just been issued a BlackBerry at work and now have to face deciding whether I want to mess with both. If I could use my iPhone for what the BB does, I wouldn't be faced with this choice. I'm just trying to let people know that enterprise support is also a help to at least one "consumer."

10. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

They talked about what CORPORATE consumers want.

Guess who built those games they showed off, it wasn't apple. It was apple's new relation ship with the corporations they are playing to.

It's going to be a good thing for everybody I feel, but it's clear the hackers won on this one. Once Apple saw they could not control the apps and sell them, they decided to give up and just take their 30% and run, change their focus to something completely different.

The consumer will be taken care of, but mostly by the consumer themselves through the SDK, not apple....... as they originally imagined.

11. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

most of what apple does now, has been decided about a year or more ago, they have a game plan and are not idiots, this sdk was always going to come out, just because they didnt mention it at first means nothing, apple never talk about stuff in advance, this just keeps the iphone in the media and gives users new features one by one, contiually revitalising sales.

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You're greatly misinterpreting. Yes, the conference was geared toward corporate customers. This isn't because Apple gave up on the consumers- it was because every other event has been focused on them and Apple hasn't done ANYTHING for the corporate guys.

Everyone in my workplace says, "I want an iPhone, but I can't get one because I can't get my email and contacts." This is really huge, I know dozens who feel this way.

13. iPegboy macrumors regular

Exactly. I don't know if the OP is a student currently or what, but I work in the "corporate" environment, ie I have a regular 9-5 job. Although my boss isn't going to go buy us all iPhones (or Blackberries for that matter), what a lot of the announcement meant yesterday was that I can buy one and access all my work material very easily on the iPhone. Not having that connectivity was originally a major drawback for the iPhone.

They will easily sell more than 10 million by the end of the year because of this, IMHO.

14. jamespa66 macrumors 6502

So the game demo's and AIM are corporate attention?