Job's bio updated?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AeroUK, Oct 25, 2011.

1. AeroUK macrumors 6502

I just got this email:

Dear iTunes Customer,

Thank you for purchasing Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson. A new version of the book is available to you at no charge.

To download the new version:

1) First, make sure you're using the latest version of the iBooks App. It's available free of charge here:

http://itunes.apple.com/app/ibooks/id364709193?mt=8

2) Next, tap the iBooks app on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. If you are already in the iBookstore, tap the Library button.

3) Tap the Edit button.

4) Locate Steve Jobs and tap the book to mark it for deletion.

5) Tap Delete to remove the book from your library.

6) Tap the Store button, scroll down to the bottom of the page and sign out of your account.

7) The page will refresh; scroll down to the bottom of the page and sign back in to your account.

8) If you are not already on the Purchased page, tap the Purchased icon in the bottom-right corner of your screen.

9) Locate Steve Jobs in your purchases and tap the iCloud button to download.

You will now have the updated version of the book in your library.

Sincerely,

iTunes Customer Experience
    http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/ww/

Does anyone know what has changed?

2. ItsPretzelTime macrumors newbie

No idea, but I was looking to order online today and I saw that there are 2 versions of the biography. One with 26 pages less.

I'm confused :confused:

3. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

There were some threads on MR yesterday about some wonky display of the book on some devices, I suspect they just fixed the file to correct that.

About 40% through the Kindle version and it looks fine, so I'm guessing it was an iBooks-only problem.

5. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

I think it's just image formatting changes. I have updated but took screen grabs of the contents page before updating. With font size set to produce a total of 541 pages (after update) I found the following differences:

1. Title Page now starts on page 7 instead of 8 so Author Bio is a page shorter. Seems to just be tighter image formatting as no obvious omissions.

2. Footnotes now starts on page 540 instead of 545. Again, this being a photo rich section, I think it is just tighter formatting of the text around images with less whitespace.

I've saved a copy of the original epub file just in case there is anything interesting which turns out to have changed but it looks like just some formatting changes to me.

I hope this is of interest.
    Craig.

6. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

I never got the email. Should i follow the instructions in the above email anyway?

7. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

I got the email too I thought it was weird , but I guess we're safe to updated

8. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Maybe it's the "Choose Your Own Adventure" edition?