Jobs in Japan

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by asxtb, Jun 25, 2008.

1. asxtb macrumors 6502

To everyone that is currently working in Japan:
    Where does everyone work? I am currenly looking for a new job and was just curious (and wanting to get some ideas for jobs--if anyone is hiring;););)) as to where everyone works. I live in Saitama and want to work in the Tokyo area.

Thanks for any ideas and help.

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

What are you doing now?

What is your skill set?

3. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

I thought this thread was about Steve Jobs in Japan, when I read the title.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You have been quite vague.

If you have doctorates in Genetics and Biology you could possibly get a job at a biotechnology lab.

Honda is known for long term research projects. So if you have an MD focusing on human neurology, and doctorates in Biochemistry and electrical engineering. You might be able to talk them into funding research into integrating a computer with the human mind.

If you have mastered one or several Martial Arts you could be an instructor at a Dojo.

Or you could get a job busing tables at a local Sushi bar.

5. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

I was recently in Tokyo to play The Punchline Comedy Club. If you are an English speaker living there then definitely check it out for a good laugh. It was my first time working in Japan and I loved it. :)

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Or you can become a ninja, but for goodness sakes, please don't tell anyone.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Don't get down to Tokyo much these days. May have to check it out.

To the OP, yes we have been having a little fun with you. However, to be helpful, it would help to have more information on your situation.

FWIW, just about any job you can find in the U.S., or any other country, can be found in Japan. The key is your qualifications as many require a degree or license of some sort.

If you are Mac knowledgeable, you might consider trying to work as a Mac Genius at one of the Apple stores (Ginza, Shibuya). I know the Ginza Apple Store has a few English (Bi-Lingual) types.

There is always English teaching, which is how many get started in Japan, then make connections and move on. For example, one I know became the head of a major US corporation's Japan operation. Another went on to open a successful Mexican food restaurant.

The bad thing about Tokyo proper (inside the Yamanote Line) is that it is expensive to live there. The apartments tend to be very small and living conditions crowded. That is unless you are on some sort of ex-pat package.

This reminds me of a funny story. The Japanese in general are finicky when it comes to ghosts. A long time ago, I was looking at moving to Ropongi (near the five corners intersection). My friend found an apartment for me that normally rented for close to $4,000/month, but the rent was reduced to under $1,000 because someone had died there recently. I almost took that place. I figured that the ghost would keep me company. :)

Anyhow, good luck in your search.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I thought of mentioning that but then there is the large investment for a good Katana and all the other various weaponry and gear to consider, you could easily reach 10K+, and its a night job to boot. Plus the logistics of advertising to local CEO's and government officials for your assassination services, perhaps Craigslist.

9. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I think landing a job in Japan would be like in any other industrialized country. If you have the permanent visa or are a Japanese citizen, then, you would be able to caste a wider net for your job search. If you need a sponsorship from the would-be employer, the choice may be limited.

From what I heard, teaching English in Japan does not fetch you good money.

I think Tokyo would be a good choice if you are looking for a job as it is the capital regions of Japan.

Actually, I am heading out to the job interview tomorrow morning in Tokyo for a position with the multination company's Japan/Asian operations. I am now with a US-based multinational.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You're absolutely right. I didn't think consider this before offering my advice.

SailorMoon it is!

11. asxtb thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the few serious replies. :mad:
    I intended this thread to be a 'what's your job in Japan' rather than a 'tell me how to get a job in Japan' thread.

tjcampbell- I love comedy! I'll definitely have to check that club out.

12. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

If you read some of the responses, you would have noticed that they asked for more details into your situation. We don't know your skill set and education.. which would help greatly in the process of suggesting an occupation. ;)

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

We tried to help the OP.

Maybe he will provide us more information and we can go from there.

If I had to guess, he has a bachelor degree of some sort, and is working for an English teaching company in Saitama (Just North of Tokyo) as an instructor. But I could be way off base.

It will be curious to see if the OP provides more information.

There are various job web sites in Japan. Here are a few:

Job Japan

gaijinpot

daijob

Note, just examples not endorsing these or any others for that matter.

14. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I thought this would be about Steve for some reason not the other kind of Jobs. :)

15. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba