Jobs on Intel, Apple Stores, iPods

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Newsweek gives a brief interview of Steve Jobs following the Macworld keynote last week.

It provides some interesting comments from Apple's CEO.

- Jobs states that the Mac market share has increased by a point this past year (approaching 5%)
- Apple builds about 30-40 Apple Stores per year to control growth and quality
- MacBook Pro battery life should be "about the same"
- Jobs does not feel that PowerMac sales will suffer greatly during the transition
- On the lack of iPod killer products at CES: "What's going to happen is that Microsoft is going to have to get into the hardware business of marking MP3 players."

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Macrumors said:
- On the lack of iPod killer products at CES: "What's going to happen is that Microsoft is going to have to get into the hardware business of marking MP3 players."

Agreed. The only way to do it is to do both the back end end the front end of the device and its software. There is where Microsoft has failed. Its OEM's pretty much make crap. I'm pretty sure if Microsoft makes the whole kit it could become a fair competitor to the iPod. Beyond that when they say point I'm assuming they mean a tenths of a percentage or are they talking an actual percentage “point”. :confused:

Oh and this was interesting:

Your new iLife software has a blogging application. When will you start your own blog?
(Laughs.) After I get a few days of rest.
Wouldn't it be funny as heck if he quoted someone who was talking crap about the new PowerBooks* on Macrumors. Ah oh. Steve Jobs is gunning for you!

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
SiliconAddict said:
...when they say point I'm assuming they mean a tenths of a percentage or are they talking an actual percentage “point”. :confused:
Now that's what I want to know.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
SiliconAddict said:
Oh and this was interesting:
Why? Are you referring to his previous battle with cancer? Or just because of his coughing during the expo that implied he was ill in some form or another?

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Littleodie914 said:
Phew... Relieving news on the MacBooks... Definitely getting one for college now!:D

Almost. It would have been interesting to hear Steve's response to:

You downgraded the new MacBooks to single layer DVD drives. What was the reason.

[if size]

So is the hair's difference in your opinion worth the loss if the drive?

Seasought said:
Why? Are you referring to his previous battle with cancer? Or just because of his coughing during the expo that implied he was ill in some form or another?

No that he is going to have a Blog.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
SiliconAddict said:
No that he is going to have a Blog.
Oh.

He strikes me as the type that would just write one big book after leaving Apple instead of blogging his day-to-day routines. It would be neat though.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Macrumors said:
- Jobs states that the Mac market share has increased by a point this past year (approaching 5%)
I heard a couple years ago that 1% of market share is equivalent to about $1 billion in gross revenue. Of course, as volume goes up, net profit increases as well, as R&D and marketing (both of which are high in Apple's case) becomes a smaller and smaller percentage of expenditures.

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
amen to that

Seasought said:
The battery question is finally resolved now. Good interview.
nk ive been waiting to hear about that for a while now, i was hoping theyd have a lil better battery life, but if the displays are as bright as the cinemas, i cant complain too much...

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
yoak said:
5%, is it offical?
That´s good anyhow, keep up the good work
Yah here's to 7% at MWSF '07. I would pretty much wet myself with a 2% increase in a year though. As long as Apple can meet demand, for once!, this should be at least possible. The big question is are they going to be the first out of the gate with Merom. If they are I could see sales spike into orbit.

TheMasin9 said:
nk ive been waiting to hear about that for a while now, i was hoping theyd have a lil better battery life, but if the displays are as bright as the cinemas, i cant complain too much...

Keep in mind that dropping the display brightness down to 1/2 would be prob the same as last gen G4 PowerBooks and could prob extend the battery life even further. We'll just have to wait and see and first reports come out. :)

jimN

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2005
London
SiliconAddict said:
Almost. It would have been interesting to hear Steve's response to:

You downgraded the new MacBooks to single layer DVD drives. What was the reason.
get over it. I'd have asked what's coming next. But it does bring up the question. If you could ask steve one thing (and he had to answer it), what would it be?

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
DTphonehome said:
I heard a couple years ago that 1% of market share is equivalent to about $1 billion in gross revenue. Of course, as volume goes up, net profit increases as well, as R&D and marketing (both of which are high in Apple's case) becomes a smaller and smaller percentage of expenditures.
I heard the same thing about the 1 percent = 1 billion $s.
I hope the growth continues - and it's good to see the announcements are getting some press. My local paper had Steve on the cover of the business section Saturday (?) with a huge intel logo behind him .

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Well that's all fine and dandy that it's 'about the same,' but how long is the average battery life of a Powerbook (i know it depends on what you are doing but ball-park estimation)?

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
jimN said:
get over it. I'd have asked what's coming next. But it does bring up the question. If you could ask steve one thing (and he had to answer it), what would it be?

If you could put anyone, who doesn't work at Apple, in the lead position of Microsoft who would it be?

And its not about getting over it. I personally am happy that I soon will HAVE a dvd burner. All I have right now is a 4x CD-R drive on my Dell Latitude 500Mhz system. So :p I just want to know what was the key reason behind it. That's all.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Some O'Reilly dude mentioned he was able to predict 4 hours out of the MBP.

Apple hasn't stated battery life because they're probably still working on it for the final Feb. release. You just can't win with premature specifications... just like premature ej... well you know.

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/8984
Here's to the Crazy Ones

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Jobs says Microsft will call the x-player or something. LOL! Get it? the Ex-player. Hahaha. Dead before it even begins. :p

Peace

macrumors Core
Apr 1, 2005
Space--The ONLY Frontier
Lacero said:

Apple hasn't stated battery life because they're probably still working on it for the final Feb. release. You just can't win with premature specifications... just like premature ej... well you know.

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/8984
Here's to the Crazy Ones

God I hope thats not Bill O'Reilly from Faux News..:D

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Lacero said:
I've never got a reliable prediction of battery life on my iBook via that method however.

I read somewhere last week that it would be 5.5 hours. So about 4 hours in real use situations.

Note that unless in high load situations, the second core in the Yonah will turn itself off in any power saving state. Try running a MacBook Pro in 'Better Performance' mode from its battery and see how long the battery lasts!

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
They really ought to be able to shift some iMacs this year. The apple store in london is always heaving - although there are probably a lot of students in their checking their hotmail.

But good to see the intel ad - follow that up with an iMac ad, and follow that up with an OSX/iLife ad.

Here are the intel chips, here's what machine they're in, and here's all the great Apple software that comes installed on your new machine...

Shame I'm going to have to wait 18 months or so to upgrade a 2 yr old (but still going strong) PB.

Last edited: