Jobs should not be too concerned with tmobile users

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by one1, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. one1 macrumors 65816

There are tmobile carrier images stock in the iPhone.

(click for larger image)
    [​IMG]

He's obviously using tmobile for parts of europe (germany) from what I gather so he is going to get cash from at&t and tmobile either way. He shouldn't be concerned with the phone being on either carrier. I mean, the irony is this phone comes stock with only one other carrier image and it is tmobile.

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

ummm T-Mobile is carrying the iPhone in Germany. Thats why it's there.

3. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Did ya read my post at all? LOL.

4. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

If someone is using it on T-Mobile in the States then Apple isn't making money.

5. rmh macrumors regular

Isn't making as much money*

They still end up making the money from the original sale.:rolleyes:

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

OK, but why should he not be worried, because some how with the T-Mobile logo in the iPhone that is ok? I'm sorry, I must be missing oh how that makes US iPhone ok to run on T-Mobile.

But Apple gets revenue from the carrier. and not universally either.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Your post makes sense in a contorted way, but Apple is losing money that it would otherwise get from everyone who isn't using the designated carrier in each country where the iPhone is available.

Part of the reason they went with AT&T was because they were the only carrier willing (or the only carrier with the resources and willing) to give up part of their monthly revenues to Apple.

I'm sure that Apple will protect their future revenues by disabling any unlocked phones but would still allow new applications.

8. JPyre macrumors 6502

They'd loose about 60% profit at the very least, and that's if nobody renews their contract, that's a little more than "as much".

Remind me again, why would someone unlock and use t-mobile in the US?
    You can argue over roaming in other countries as the reason, but the original post was talking about t-mobile in the US. You people make no sense whatsoever and threads like this are getting annoying.

9. JPyre macrumors 6502

Nobody's is laughing but you. And can you not read your own post? I see Vodaphone clearly listed there...

Sooo.... what are these people going to do when their phone is bricked on the first update they run and Apple won't service it?

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

All carriers are willing to give up part of their monthly revenues... it's called a kickback or subsidy. It's just usually given to the customer, not the phone manufacturer.

AT&T must've figured, what the heck, if people were so blind with lust that they would not only pay extra to be an early owner, but also give up hundreds more to the maker, then why not? No skin off their back.

Ha. My guess is that the sign in the kiosk comes down.

Probably the kiosk disappears too :eek:

11. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

No, no.. you're missing where I am hitting at here. Apple has a deal with both Tmobile AND AT&T at the moment. This means Jobs has to keep both carriers happy, but it also means that the door is open. It is not at the moment authorized, but it is open.

There is a relationship between APPLE and TMOBILE. Jobs is literally in the middle of a rock and a hard place with how far he can go bashing users going to tmobile because it is going to end up negative PR towards tmobile.

You can't sign a contract with a company, then bash people using their service. Since the iPhone already has the carrier logo, has already been unlocked for tmobile, and Jobs has a contract with tmobile corporate (no matter which country) he should avoid negative publicity in the US bashing tmobile users. That is the point of wh he should not be concerned with tmobile users.

They are SOOOOO sued!

12. JPyre macrumors 6502

AT&T has a 5 yr deal in the US. Period, end of discussion. Steve isnt bashing anyone, hes sticking to his contract. Its not Steves fault unlocking software bricks phones.

Not to mention tmobile US and tmobile EU are two separate companies. It does matter.

And where is all this bashing youre refering to?

13. anubis macrumors 6502a

Except for the part where Apple does NOT have a contract with tmobile for US service. Apple gets revenue sharing for each iPhone activated with AT&T. Apple does not get that extra revenue if the iPhone is activated with T-mobile. In case you forgot, Apple has signed a 5-year exclusivity contract with AT&T to operate in the US as the exclusive iPhone carrier. (In exchange, AT&T invested a significant amount of money upgrading the EDGE infrastructure)

At any rate, Jobs has never directly bashed T-Mobile, as you have suggested.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Obviously, not everyone was willing to give up revenues to Apple since Verizon apparently had first dibs on the device and turned it down.

15. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

We're going to need good reading skills to play in this thread because I word things exactingly. I ask that you pay close attention to where I said tmobile USERS, not tmobile corporate. As this fiasco is about the users taking their phones to tmobile.

16. anubis macrumors 6502a

You word things incorrectly:

Clearly there is also a "Vodafone" logo which you forgot to mention. Also, your statement that Apple gets cash from at&t and tmobile is misleading. Apple only gets cash from at&t activations in the US.

Admit it: you foolishly bought an iPhone, unlocked it and signed up for tmobile (probbaly two year contract), and now you're doomed to never being able to update your iPhone software while the rest of us get to bask in the glory of iTunes Wi-Fi music store, among other updates to come that we can't even imagine yet.

17. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

My phone is not unlocked. I am a sprint user. :) My phone serves the purpose that I estimate a HUGE majority of Iphone purchasers bought it for.... an internet browser that actually works in your pocket on wifi. I got tired of lugging my Ibook around.

I also have three mac's in the house and the iPhone makes 4. I am and always will be a die hard MAC user. Having one that fit's in my pocket just makes the deal sweeter. :) I always said if MAC ever made a PDA I'd be the first one on the block to own it, and I was the first one on my block with one :)

My sprint contract ends this month and since I hardly ever use the phone (67 minutes last month) the 200 minute prepaid plan will do just fine and I will hook it up at the first of october. :)

There is an obvious reason why Vodafone is not mentioned..... we do not have an issue with Vodafone and we do not have Jobs damming the persons that unlocked their phone to go to voda, do we? My post is relevant to the US and the problems in the US. Voda has not been the issue. Tmobile is the issue which is obviously the focus of the thread. Voda does not need mention.

18. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't actually even have a SIM in my phone, but I will soon :)

I have never used tmobile so I don't have any reason to use it as I do not have an existing account nor any previous one. :)

(click)
    [​IMG]

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

In any case, there is no need to continue this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.