Jobs sick of cell phone industry already?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swiftaw, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

interesting read but I think it's a bit light on the truth.

the all in one aspect to the iphone is far more attractive to many people than a cell + touch.

I don't want to carry around 2 or more gadgets. Just the iphone is perfect.

Is it the best phone? no but it pretty much does what I need while integrating other options I want.

And that's a pretty powerful platform.

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

3. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

this is just someone over-speculating seems like that to me anyway

4. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

tired of the cellphone industry? hah!! i bet they are loving it. not only are they getting kickbacks from at&t for the right to sell their product (when has that ever happened? ok now that i say that i'm sure someone will point out some product...but i digress), but now they also get to sell their songs all over again as ringtones and tap a whole new market of people who will get sucked into the rest of apple's products because they love their iphone so much! not to mention all the hype they have surrounding the product and free advertising. seems like the tiniest bit of iphone news makes headlines anymore.

with all that being said though, i wonder if there is a provision in the at&t deal which says that apple is allowed to use the phones with, ahem, their own network at some point? although it seems a stretch for apple to purchase a chunk of that 700mhz band and form a cellular network, it may just be the ideal scenario that job's was looking for. it really wouldn't have dropped calls and it would have wireless internet that you might as well call 4g. it would be the perfect carrier, at least compared to the crap we have to choose from right now.

5. macmanx1 macrumors newbie

It seems that Jobs has made more than one mistake which goes well beyond the sudden $200 price cut which devalued everyones iPhone. It seems that perhaps in a rush to market he failed to take some things into consideration. Now he's waking up to the reality. A hard thing for him to face as he's the ringmaster, creator of the Apple Hype Machine, and all things that cause him to believe his own wild claims. All of which clouds his ability to stay grounded in the real world.

My experience with the iPhone was interesting but not captivating. After the newness wore off, it turned out (shockingly...:)) to be just another phone. Glad I dumped it on ebay after just three weeks as I was able to recover nearly all the cash I paid for it. Now after the price cut, they are only worth about $50 to $100 on ebay. And if the last ten years of Apple history are any indicator, the price cut was to stimulate sales, and a huge signal that it's about to be discontinued. The next generation will have some of the crucial improvements that should have been in the 1st gen product to begin with, starting with, but not limited to 3G.

Then with the recent intro of the touch, which is a truly brilliant product, I believe there will be a lot of people such as myself which will immediately adopt the iPod touch, and continue to use a high end thin and light, feature laden mobile phone. Back in the day it was a pain to carry two devices, as both were large and bulky. However today the current phone I carry is only 10.9 mm thick, very small and disappears in my pocket. Likewise the iPod touch is very slim and it certain to provide a user experience far superior to the iPhone. In addition, the advantage is when on the phone, one may have the touch in front of them to refer to the calendar or other data which is pertinent to the call. I ordered one the moment they were offered on the Apple site. I also ordered a new nano now that it has the nice large display.

At this point it may turn out that Jobs is his own worst enemy. After all he is caving in to pressure quickly and easily. His weak response of allowing a $100 {credit} is a farce as it goes right back into his greedy pockets as you are only allowed to give the money back to Apple. Calling it a $100 credit is a pure con. A credit as issued by AT&T on other new phones sold at a discount when one extends the contract is a true "credit" as it reduces your out of pocket expense. Steve is too greedy to give back anything to his loyal customers.

Having purchased many Apple laptops over the last 8 years, I know that Apple is capable of far better. Currently I have a brand new MacBook Pro which is significantly better than the first generation MBP I purchased. It's a machine that I use daily and could not be happier with. The original ran hot, and had so many problems that Apple could not, or did not fix them, on each of it's many return trips to the service depot, that it was another Apple product that I dumped on eBay after their fourth failed attempt to fix it.

However not all is negative as the iPhone did give other established cell phone makers some free promotion on the merits of a multifunction device. As a result the experienced firms such as Samsung have had their products validated by Steve Jobs himself. How can you beat free promotion!

Then in the final analysis, only the cult like Apple Faithful, take these things so seriously. After all... it's only money, and it's only a bloody phone people....:p

Remember Uncle Steve doesn't care, so why should we?.....LOL.......:D

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

You're right. Usually the kickback goes to the salesperson and/or the user, so the phone is cheaper.

Instead, Jobs hiked the price AND stole your subsidy. People screamed about the overpricing (once it was revealed by the quick drop), and yet continue to smile while handing over their sales bounty AND royalties to Apple each month.

The phone should sell for $100-200 with a two year contract.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Um no. Contracts are part of the reason why our cell service sucks in this country.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Sorry, poor wording.

With the usual contract subsidies, the iPhone COULD sell for much lower.

And SHOULD sell for much lower for those who signed a two year contract.

9. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Where did you purchase such potent 'shrooms? I simply must have them.

Apple overpriced the iPhone because they knew there would be a huge pent up demand, and there was. They are simply dropping the price to a more honest point, and they're going to sell a ton of them.

10. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Are you for real? UH...... No.

I think the iPhone has been wildly popular and the ONLY thing holding it back from absolutely KILLING every other phone on the market is the price and exclusivity.

The price issue was just fixed and if the hacking continues the exclusivity is soon to be as well.

I for one wish Jobs would buy the new band opening up simply for all the awesome implications it could have beyond just cell phones. I mean, there could be a massive apple network letting your stuff all work together flawlessly, at decent speeds and going through walls and barriers that traditional cell and wifi are having issues with.

We'll see.

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Ahh, I see. That I can agree with because then I could afford one!