Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Matt writes in with the official link that Steve Jobs will keynote at MacWorld Tokyo:

http://www.idg.co.jp/expo/macworld2002/en/20020304.html

IDG today announced that Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO, will deliver the opening keynote address at Macworld Tokyo 2002, the largest Macintosh event in Japan. This year's Macworld Tokyo will take place at Tokyo Big Sight March 21-23, 2002, and the keynote is scheduled for Thursday, March 21 at 9:30 a.m.

Whether or not it is to be webcast is not yet clear...

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
Jobs wont travel that far without a reason.....

It has to be something worth Steve's time. So we can perhaps look forward to some hardware announcements.

Its in Japan.....hmmmm. Home of all things smart and small......hmmmm.

May I bring up.....drum roll.....the iWalk!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright, I know its unlikely, but I really do think that the iPod's capabilities added into a PDA would be a huge success for Apple.

Thats my 10c.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
iWalk does sound like iWok....Japan is an appropiate place for such a thing aye?! Heh! Not so funny right?....well i had a little laugh.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Last year Steve went to Tokio and I guess just the iPod came out. I do not think something big is gonna happen.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by mymemory
Last year Steve went to Tokio and I guess just the iPod came out. I do not think something big is gonna happen.

iPod wasn't released at MW Tokyo...

it was released with just a press conference

arn

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
cheaper pods

SmartDisk just lowered their price on their 5gb firewire drive that uses the same drive mechanism as the iPod. It could just mean that they have a large inventory of these drives that they want to clear out. But it could also mean that the mechanism is much cheaper now than they were six months ago.

I see Apple slashing prices on the 5 gig iPods, to $299, and introducing 10 gb iPods at $399. This is a conservative guess on my part.

Also, I doubt Steve would get up on stage just for a price cut, so new features are definitely in the works. I wouldn't expect anything dramatic, like Palm OS compatibility, but maybe something modest like voice recording capability or ability to encode mp3s.

nero007

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2002
Re: cheaper pods

Originally posted by dongmin
SmartDisk just lowered their price on their 5gb firewire drive that uses the same drive mechanism as the iPod. It could just mean that they have a large inventory of these drives that they want to clear out. But it could also mean that the mechanism is much cheaper now than they were six months ago.

I see Apple slashing prices on the 5 gig iPods, to $299, and introducing 10 gb iPods at $399. This is a conservative guess on my part.

Also, I doubt Steve would get up on stage just for a price cut, so new features are definitely in the works. I wouldn't expect anything dramatic, like Palm OS compatibility, but maybe something modest like voice recording capability or ability to encode mp3s.

I'm with you on this one.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Oh, great, now I get to calculate transpacific time zone changes to figure out when the webcast will be (if there is one). 9:30am on Thursday in Tokyo is, what, like 5:30pm on Wednesday on the West Coast, right?

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
While Mr. Jobs *not* doing the keynote would have been a pretty definite indication that nothing was coming, I think you are reading too much into him DOING the keynote. He was set to keynote Paris last fall, before the 9/11 ugliness, and the only thing that came out within months of that was the iPod, and optical drive rearrangement in the PowerBooks...

Now, with the "12 o'clock" anniversary of OS X coming, I very much believe he could come on stage, and talk for an hour or so about "how far we've come" with OS X, etc and either announce a date for 10.2, or even announce its immediate availability... or that all 3 models of iMac LCD's are shipping.. Apple knows good and well how important Japan is to them, and I think he would go and do the keynote purely on a PR basis even if he had nothing at all to announce.

Sure, I would LIKE to see 19" LCD's, new PowerBooks, shipping notice on the GF4 Ti cards/upgrades, a PDA, and an Apple-branded all-wheel drive hydrogen fuel-cell-powered Mini-SUV with built-in XM radio receiver and entirely voice-activated ammenities.. but that doesn't mean it'll happen. However, I think that car is more likely than that iWalk thing.

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
No New Hardware in 4 quadrants

Apple has repeatedly stated that there will be no new hardware in the current four computer hardware quadrants for quite a while.

I think, as I have said before, that this leaves the digital devices wide open.

I think that there will be a digital camera announcement in Tokyo along with iPhoto 2.

Not sure about the iPod updates, that may be a smaller announcement, like they did with the PowerMac updates.

Here we go again! I just finished paying off my new iMac, now I have to buy the next great thing that Steve will dish out... if in fact he will present something new.

Quark

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
I want to be as positive as possible, but let's look at the facts...

* The asian market.

The asian market, esp. Japan, is a place where the design and products of Apple should be a made success, but that just isn't happening right now. Apple (Jobs) is trying to show people that Apple is present there, and they do value him showing up in person more than any other market.

* Jobs doesn't show up emptyhanded.

Ok, we do know he'll bring something, and doing some guessing we can get some of it right:

First of all, new computers isn't happening, at least not desktops. Apple took a major(ish) step not long ago, and the best they could do would be a new top model.
Such a model could be a dual 1.2 GHz, but the supply would be somewhat limited; and since they'd have to move all machines up a level the limited supply would do more harm than good... 1.1 GHz could happen; but I dobut it.

Quads? Naaaah... unless pure G5's will be seriously delayed I doubt we'll see quads with G4's; and all the other improvements (RAM-type, busses and so on) will most likely not happen either. By waiting with all that the G5's will look, and be, a lot more impressive... besides, all that is a major step that doesn't really fit right now.

iPod 2? Hmmm... this is a though one, at the same time as it is possible to include a larger HD for the same price, well, at the same time as we have that the cost of the iPods needs to come down somewhat to really reach a large market. On top of that we have the advertising talking about 5 Gig as all that you'll ever need... AirPort-card? Nice idea, and the thing needed for me to get one; but I doubt it.

So what will he show? Not a new gadget; a camera would just be someone elses product with an Apple on it, which isn't really his kind of thing, and a PDA ("iWalk") doesn't really fit either...

To begin with there will be lots of numbers showing how great they are (last time it was the iPod, now it will be the new iMacs), and then there will be Photoshop... Palm-software is close enough to be released "for real", but I doubt it will leave beta before late spring.

AirPort moving to 802.11a? Nope, won't happen; at least not for a long time. 802.11a requires new hardware, and isn't compatible with 802.11b; they could switch to a new compatible standard though, but I don't think they have the software ready yet.

Updated TiBook? Yes; PowerBook G4 is the powerline of their portables, but it's way behind compared with the rest of their products; it's also the product that the asian market would love the most... it's portable, stylish and powerfull... I'm about 85% sure that we'll see a new PowerBook.

erova

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
washington dc
where's smokey the bear when you need him??

is that lighter fluid i smell?

somebody get me a match...i think gocyrus switched names

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
It's too soon for iPhoto2...

What exactly does "no new hardware" mean? No updates to any of the product lines, or just no brand new machines (G5s)?

I think an OS X update would be more likely than anything else, but price drops on hardware would be welcome (LCDs).

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Re: iwalk provbably the wrong name

Originally posted by foofan
If you go to http://www.ipod.com, you are lead to apple's site. if you go to http://www.iwalk.com, you are taken to someone's personal site. If apple was going to release a product with the name iwalk they would have gotten that domain. correct?

iWalk is provably the wrong name because it's a stupid name. Somehow the SpyMac guy has gotten it in his head that it's cool, though, and he keeps trying to attach it to his fake PDA designs. Even if it didn't suck, Apple would never use the name "iWalk" for that reason. If the SpyMac dude will fake PDAs to draw in traffic and increase his ad rates, don't you think he'd jump at the chance to try to hit Apple for cash by saying they released a device with the name he came up with? After all, since he just set the design free on the Internet (name and all) instead of sending it to Apple, a court might find that he isn't subject to Apple's draconian-but-understandable unsolicited idea submission policy.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Hey, sorry to double-post, but this idea just occurred to me: What if Steve is finally announcing an Apple Store in Tokyo? I mean, I've heard a lot of folks in the forums complain about the general crappiness of places to buy Apple products in Japan. I can see where such an event would merit a personal announcement from His Steveness.

Standard Disclaimer: No evidence, just a passing thought.

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
Originally posted by Gelfin
Hey, sorry to double-post, but this idea just occurred to me: What if Steve is finally announcing an Apple Store in Tokyo? I mean, I've heard a lot of folks in the forums complain about the general crappiness of places to buy Apple products in Japan. I can see where such an event would merit a personal announcement from His Steveness.

Standard Disclaimer: No evidence, just a passing thought.

Hey, that could be it; it's very much needed. :)

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: iwalk provbably the wrong name

Originally posted by foofan
If you go to http://www.ipod.com, you are lead to apple's site. if you go to http://www.iwalk.com, you are taken to someone's personal site. If apple was going to release a product with the name iwalk they would have gotten that domain. correct?

ipod.com didn't point to Apple until the day of the ipod announcement...

arn

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
It's too soon for iPhoto2...

Well, perhasp for iphoto 2 - but there were rumors for a smaller iphoto update.

arn

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Re: Re: iwalk provbably the wrong name

Originally posted by arn

ipod.com didn't point to Apple until the day of the ipod announcement...

arn

okay. but did it exist before as someone elses doman name?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Re: Re: iwalk provbably the wrong name

Originally posted by krossfyter

okay. but did it exist before as someone elses doman name?

yes it existed and pointed to a badly designed unrelated website.

Actually... here's an archive of it in early 2001...

http://web.archive.org/web/20010924220636/http://ipod.com/

But this is not what it looked like right before Apple announced the iPod... it had some content at that time.

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.