Jobs would've never allowed...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by puma1552, Sep 12, 2012.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

...the ugly wifi spot to return, that CHEESY knob hanging off it for the loop nobody will buy, and the NON-FLUSH camera.

That iPod ain't going to lie flat, Jobs would've never allowed that.

Also it's another year of Apple's ugly pastel colors, wait until next year for the real vibrant colors.

2. tyche macrumors 6502

I don't care how far out the camera sticks as long as the pictures are excellent. The current gen Touch's camera is rubbish.

3. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

I must agree on the pastel colors... not very masculine :D

While talking what Steve would have never allowed is a 3+ years stagnation on the 64GB :p

4. mylios101 macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure Steve Jobs approved 5 years of Apple products before his death.

5. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

what is the black bar on the top rear of the new iPod Touch? is that what you are referring to for the wifi antenna spot?

6. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

These are the exact complaints I had earlier although I believe Jobs did have a say in this product. Also, the Loop is free and comes with the iPod - they give you a matching color one. You can purchase another for $9. But, I'm surprised no one has said - the loops are simply scrap material from the iPad Smart Cases...

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I don't get the loop. Who decided people want that? I fear that Apple may have their heads down. And I really don't understand the outtie camera. So very un-Apple.

8. Nychot macrumors 6502a

In this age of truly great mini tabs like the nexus 7 and even the fire hd, why in the world would anyone buy a new touch.? Before the mini explosion apple probablly had the new touch in the works and was forced to go with it. I'm now seriously wondering of an ipad mini is even ready to be announced next month.

9. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

The whole "Jobs would never have..." shtick is a bit hysterical honestly but I agree that the back of the new Touch looks way too busy.

This combined with the totally weird new Nano is giving me a bad feeling about the design department. Seems like signs of indecision and lack of confidence to me. Those round icons on the new Nano don't even look very Apple at all.

10. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Maybe because I can't fit a tablet in my pocket. Seriously, not everyone has the same requirements as you.

11. mylios101 macrumors newbie

The "outtie" camera for one thing is there to compensate for the height added by the strap loop to keep the iPod level when it's rested on a flat surface.

12. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

firstly, the loop comes with the iPod for free

secondly IMHO the target market is preteens

but I agree the whole line of iPods is crap right now

they should have:

drop the shuffle
    make a smaller/thinner version of the last generation watch nano at $99
    i don't have a problem with the new touch, but start it at $199 and $249

then add the iPad mini at $299 and $399

13. dbdynsty25 macrumors regular

Neither my Ipad 3 or my Nexus 7 will work at the gym without me looking ridiculous. I like to watch an episode or two on the stair climber or elliptical and then lift some weights. The iPod Touch is perfect for that, especially now that I can get one with a bigger, higher resolution screen, than my 2nd Gen Touch. Perfect time to upgrade.

14. Dorje Sylas macrumors 6502

The "Loop" actually does make a kind of oddball sense. With the boost in the camera quality and display quality (IPS) it comes a much better point and shoot camera in addition to it's Music/PDAish/Gaming nature. For those kinds of "photo" activities a lanyard of some kind is logical.

Not that I'd personally have use for a Loop. If I were get an iPod Touch 5 to replace/augment my 3rd gen, it would likely go immediately into some kind for more ruggedized case... which no doubt would come with its own lanyard attachment option. In a way it feels kinda redundant to a proper case to protect it from drops that will occur while actively using it for photo/video.

Also the Loop just looks flimsy. I hope it's much stronger then it appears cause I've seen then lanyard things like that before and it wasn't overly hard to get them to snap at the connection point. I really feels like Apple is trying this out as kind of live field test for either future use on iPhones or maybe even for similar strap things on iPads.

15. kaydot macrumors regular

"Looking ridiculous" hardly stops people from using their devices in new locations. I saw a fellow taking a video with his iPad at a concert. It looked ridiculous. It was completely distracting. And everyone gave him the evil eye. But he kept doing it anyways.

16. 617aircav Suspended

How do you know this?

17. sexiewasd macrumors regular

I really hope that the loop connection tab is solid enough. Because of the way that the loop slides in the tab could be used for all kinds of different things, like securing the iPod in cases better than the clip in style cases, or for extra support on docks, because the lightning connector doesn't appear to have the same stability as the very wide 30-pin does. maybe it could be used for tripods, and stands, or even to attach external accessories like stereo microphones or better speakers, or a belt clip. I can think of a lot of uses better than the loop, if it's sturdy enough.

18. SamSmith macrumors member

How can anything Apple do be un-Apple? Anything they do immediately becomes Apple.

19. urban.spaceman macrumors member

I was thinking this; it does have potential for some creative third part accessory manufacturers. I'd be delighted with a Joby Gorillapod mount clip; I use the suction-pad thingy with my current model and although it's great for watching movies on the train, or typing with a bluetooth keyboard etc, it can be quite unreliable and unsuckers if you fart near it.

If it was a reliable connection then you could probably use it for security too - I had my 3rd gen pickpocketed in New Zealand last year.

20. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

This is really a cultural thing.

If you've been to Japan (and for that matter Korea and China) you'll see thousands and thousands of "Cell phone charms", little nicknacks you hang from your cell phone.

It's a way to demonstrate individuality, or show off your passion for ideas, faith, brands, anime characters, philosophy, etc.

One of the most popular add-on items for iPhone is a kit that lets you put a strap-hoop on the bottom of the iPhone. (screws into the screw-hole next to the dock connector.)

They're crazy about these things, I've seen teenagers with like 20 charms on a single phone.

It probably was the most requested international feature. Seriously! LOL