John C. Dvorak - The Guy Apple Love Proving Wrong

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Buildbright, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

John C. Dvorak is notoriously bad at making tech predictions. Look at some of these blunders. I know he says some of this for attention but come on he believes some of these predictions. To me it’s funny that you can be successful being wrong your whole career as long as you are entertaining. Don’t get me wrong I like the guy but this shows how that old school IBM PC user thinks. There is no imagination or drive to be creative.

1984 “There is no evidence that people want to use these things. I dont want one of these new-fangled devices.” (Computer Mouse)

2006 “ Apple with switch to AMD in two years mark my words” (Apples switch to Intel)

2007 “Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone” (iPhone Announcement)

2010 “the iPad is far from revolutionary” “what is it good for? Absolutely nothing! “ (iPad Announcement)

2. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Oh, brother. If I had a dollar for every time that Dvorak predicted The Death of Apple, I could buy Tahiti.

My favorite column -- I would kill to have a link to this, but he knows better than to put his inaccurate blatherings online -- is a "seance" where he looks into the future after the Apple/IBM alliance (that eventually gave Apple a boost). He sees a catatonic Jobs staring into space, a bound-and-gagged John Scully and some evil mastermind (who turns out to be a disguised Bill Gates) cackling over how Apple got suckered into its own destruction. At one point the gag is torn off and Scully shrieks "You sunnovabich, we had a deal. We had a deal!!"

Seriously, if these computer pundits had to live or die on their predictions, the field would be pretty empty.

3. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Dvorak is just a troll... no more, no less.

He says something dumb/grouchy/controversial and he drives traffic to his articles and web site. As you say, he's got a poor record of predictions, and I don' think he's well respected in the industry.

Don't feed the troll. Ignore him.

4. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I thought this was a thread resurrection from 2000, which was the last time that Dvorak was relevant. He's another pundit who loves to hear his own voice, regardless how ridiculous it sounds.

5. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I think he's funny. Him being grouchy on TWiT is to me a fun listen.

6. interrobang macrumors 6502

AMD? That's nothing. Did you hear the one the year before when he said that Apple would switch to Itanium?