Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Oculus VR, the company behind the highly anticipated virtual reality gaming headset Oculus Rift, has announced that legendary game programmer John Carmack is joining the team as Chief Technology Officer. Carmack co-founded id Software, where he has led development of a number of popular gaming franchises, including Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and Quake. He will remain with id Software, although Oculus will be his primary focus for the time being.
John put together a short note for the Oculus community:

"I have fond memories of the development work that led to a lot of great things in modern gaming - the intensity of the first person experience, LAN and internet play, game mods, and so on. Duct taping a strap and hot gluing sensors onto Palmer's early prototype Rift and writing the code to drive it ranks right up there. Now is a special time. I believe that VR will have a huge impact in the coming years, but everyone working today is a pioneer. The paradigms that everyone will take for granted in the future are being figured out today; probably by people reading this message. It's certainly not there yet. There is a lot more work to do, and there are problems we don't even know about that will need to be solved, but I am eager to work on them. It's going to be awesome!"
carmack_oculus.jpg
Oculus Rift raised nearly $2.5 million in a Kickstarter campaign ending last September, with the company delivering thousands of prototype headsets to developers to help them build games for the system. A consumer launch for the headset is rumored for next year, although the company has refrained from committing to a specific timeline.

While some have suspected that console gaming might be an area of interest for Oculus, the company indicates that beyond PC gaming it is also focusing on mobile devices such as the iPhone and iPad, with the rapid pace of innovation in mobile serving as a distinct draw compared to the much longer development cycles on console platforms.

Article Link: John Carmack Joins Oculus VR as Chief Technology Officer

Jo Bot

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
It's cool to see someone who's been in the business as long as Carmack still gets inspired by new technologies. Go make some great stuff!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Can't wait for the consumer version with positional tracking and extra detail. I've been waiting for this kind of gaming (and even art) experience most of my life! YouTube reactions make me jealous--but I should have the chance to try a Rift for myself next week.

The long-term future of VR, as Oculus has said, will be connecting these to future, more-powerful smartphones, not to bulky PCs. And that means, Apple, get rid of the video-out lag! (Faster encoding/decoding chips?)

(Also, John: Doom 3 BFG Edition with Rift support on the Mac App Store please :) )

thekingofnerds

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
You can watch newest Quakecon video with him, released 3 days ago, he mentions multiple times about projects he is working on at id.

Could be like a Bill Gates situation. He "left" his daily duties, but is such an important figure he is still involved in projects and consults them.

According to wikipedia he has left Id.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_D._Carmack

I don't even see where it says he left. Everything still says he is there?

"On August 7, 2013, Carmack joined Oculus VR as their CTO, while still contributing to id Software"

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'd love to be a part-time worker at 2 established companies!

I like my Rift and can't wait to see what they do with a retail unit. It's amazing tech.

lupinglade

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2010
Oculus has stated their current #1 support goal is PC gaming, #2 mobile devices. They did not say their focus is console gaming as this article states.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I wouldn't take Wikipedia as fact.

regardless Carmack tweeted he's over half his time at Occulus now. that's closer to be FT at Occ than id. I'd imagine contractual obligations to the new corporate owner of id are a factor.

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this dude looks a lot like alton brown in that photo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.