Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
The white really looks... wrong. Don't like it at all.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
But did he say who the little birdie was?

Could it be a black iPhone with the front and back glass replaced?

Doubt it. There have been several white iPhones spotted around the Apple campus. They're not impossible to make, they're difficult to mass produce (so the story goes).

Give that 1) We know Apple employees have some, and B) We know Gruber knows Apple employees, I see no reason to doubt this story.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Doubt it. There have been several white iPhones spotted around the Apple campus. They're not impossible to make, they're difficult to mass produce (so the story goes).

Give that 1) We know Apple employees have some, and B) We know Gruber knows Apple employees, I see no reason to doubt this story.

he could've easily got himself a kit as well, no?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
he could've easily got himself a kit as well, no?

Yeah, but that would make no sense.

Why would he suddenly start behaving the opposite of how he usually is? He likes to brag and tease his readers with stuff he's uncovered or discovered. I can think of no examples where he's done something like this as a joke in the past. It would be wildly out of character.

So given the choice of "simple answer that makes sense" and "his personality totally changed today," I'm gonna go with "simple answer" as my guess.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Does it really matter if you changed the glass or it came like that? It is the same thing. And I think he has lied before.....

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I don't understand the fascination with the white iPhone
I realize people have different tastes, but to me, it is fugly

In fact, if the white had come out instead of the black, I would have likely held on to my 3GS, which would have pissed my GF

May 8, 2008
Eh, IMO, the white iPhone has always been for people who want the 'look-at-me-look-how-cool-I-am' factor. I don't know anyone who owns a white iPhone who isn't an self-abosrbed *******.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I don't want one....but just knew it was of interest for some ppl here.

Looking at the text on the back, I'm calling it a knock-off. I'm sure John will reveal that to be the case shortly.

Edit: Aaaand the reveal:

gruber John Gruber
Why not print a screenshot from a real iPhone? Recreating all the icons (poorly) must've been more work: http://cl.ly/2f5c79eddf515a7a4a11

gruber John Gruber
Side by side with actual black iPhone 4: http://cl.ly/f727403528df417f04a9

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'm always surprised that these knock-offs get so many details right but then don't just copy the icon artwork. I mean, it's not like they're worried about getting sued.

Why try SO hard to get SO close instead of just ripping it off exactly?

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement
Eh, IMO, the white iPhone has always been for people who want the 'look-at-me-look-how-cool-I-am' factor. I don't know anyone who owns a white iPhone who isn't an self-abosrbed *******.

If only this weren't true...

Alas. we can only dream. Such as it is with new tech and technolust going out of hand.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about

look at you, all judgey-judge.

and plenty of people would apply that argument to iPhone users in general.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK

I have to agree, but here in Glasgow the only people I see with white iPhone 3GS's are either snooty women (who seem to hold it up in such a way to make sure everyone sees it) or blokes in power suits.

My iPhone 4 only comes out my pocket to check a text or use an app for a minute to two ... and even then when using my iPod app I just use the headphone remote and voice control to change tracks/pause/change volume.

Mickyfin

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2010
Finland
Its a white iphone 4 dummy.

content

content

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.