John Gruber's iPad review

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rogifan, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Pretty much all good things to say. Also he's running iOS 11 beta and likes it so much he's not going back to 10.

https://daringfireball.net/2017/06/the_2017_ipad_pros

2. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

3. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

The first thing I’m doing on my 10.5 pro is installing iOS 11 on it.

4. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I already have B1 installed on my iPad. Surprisingly it's much more stable then my iPhone running the same beta. As soon as I get it, I have to upgrade it to migrate my information from my old iPad so I was planning to do it anyway.

Either which way, iOS 11 is definitely more iPad-centric then the last few iOS releases.

5. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I’d agree with John that iOS 11 is a keeper. The dock is sheer brilliance. The apps on the left are the ones that you choose and are always there. No endless scrolling to find them. And the three apps on the right are ones that are not in your dock but that your iPad using AI figures that you may want to use. Excellent solution that strikes a balance between static and dynamic.

6. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

I actually don't care for this at all. Is there a way to turn it off and simply have the apps you chose?

7. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I'm slapping 11.0 first thing too.. Just love that keyboard!

8. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Adding iOS 11 as soon as I can to it, otherwise no reason to buy it

9. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Isn't that essentially what it's doing - placing the apps you use most there?

10. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

I personally would rather have the Apps in the dock which I want to be there. Not ones Apple thinks I want. I'm the one using it not them.

11. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

I want to put which apps I want where I want them. Bottom line. I don't use any of Apple's predictive "smart" features - from photo albums, to the keyboard, to safari "frequently used", you name it. I like being in control of my stuff. I want things arranged how I want them, period.

12. nutriousmitten macrumors regular

I thought the apps on the right were the "last used" apps, not anything that's been predicted, in order to switch back to something you may have recently closed.

Regardless, this is early beta OS11...a couple versions yet to tweak things here and there and add/remove.

13. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

John loves another Apple product?
    Is water still wet?
    Sky still blue?

lol - Joking of course.
    I do enjoy his podcast in spots, but honestly, I'd look basically anywhere else for objective reviews of an Apple product.

14. emembee macrumors regular

emembee

Yes "Full disclosure: I went back to my Mac to write these 3 footnotes. That’s due more to the byzantine way I mark footnotes up than any limitation inherent to iOS vs. MacOS. But it feels worth noting"

Interesting point though about Apple not wanting to shout too much about performance, given their liaison with Intel.

15. the future macrumors 65816

It's interesting to me that you perceive Gruber as biased; it may be a distorting side effect of the anti Apple bias of much of the tech press/pundits. To me, Gruber seems quite objective and no-bull.

16. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Same here! Definitely a tiny bit risky, but I want this iPad running on iOS 11 from day one. I can deal with some minor bugs. I also enjoy the beta process and seeing the changes and improvements every couple weeks.

17. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I’ve been running the beta on my air 2 and pro 12.9”, yes there are some bugs but I can deal with them. iOS 11 brings way too much to the iPad for me to ever go back to iOS 10 now.

18. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Awesome. From what I have read, most people are pretty happy with this first beta on their iPad's. Even going as far as saying it seems more stable than the iPhone build.

19. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I can attest to that, I have the same experience. Hopefully there a new beta next week that squashes some bugs though.

20. BritishApple macrumors regular

I have to agree, it’s tremendous on my iPad Air 2, a few bugs and the odd stutter aside.

21. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

22. MentalFloss macrumors 6502a

MentalFloss

I would also strongly prefer that. I use my iPad at home or at work. If I play a bunch of games at home, nobody at work needs to see that when I pull up the dock. I want strictly productivity stuff there.

23. penajmz, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017

penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

24. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

I don't care what it is- predicted, last used, or frequently used. I don't have iOS 11 now so I don't know. But either way, I would like the option to turn it off. And that's why I'm asking others if it is there or not.

25. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

I would think this is part of the "Siri Suggestions" in settings, which you can turn off. I will attempt later and follow up if not answered.