John Hurt has passed away

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by JamesMike, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Just learned of this with real regret, and came here to start a thread on it, to find that you had already done so, and many thanks for that.

A superb and exceptionally gifted actor, one who inhabited and informed every role he ever played with insight and extraordinary feeling.

Actually, his presence in a movie, or TV show, was enough to make me want to watch it. His screen presence was gripping, his voice extraordinary, and his ability to lose himself in a role astonishing.

As a teenager, I remember seeing him play Caligula in the fantastic TV series, I, Claudius - his performance was breathtaking (in a superb cast - Patrick Stewart played Sejanus), and I also watched, mesmerised, the TV drama, "10 Rillington Place" where he played the tragic and doomed Timothy Evans, a performance beautifully matched by Richard Attenborough, who played the chilling suave, and sinister John Christie.

Some of the parts he played onscreen, in movies, were equally unforgettable "The Elephant Man", "The Field", and - of course, Garrick Ollivander in the Harry Potter franchise.

A terrific and compelling actor. As with Alan Rickman - whom I also thought superb - I will miss having the opportunity to see him play new roles.

2. vkd Suspended

vkd

He was the voice of the dragon in the Merlin TV series.

3. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

May he rest in peace. He was a really great actor. It seems 2017 is off to competition with 2016.

I guess this is a sign that as I'm aging, the rest of the world speedily with me.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

5. imanidiot Suspended

Very very great actor. If you've never seen him in "Krapp's Last Tape" you should. Brilliant. A signature role. A tremendous loss.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

7. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Yes, and Caligula and the Elephant man ...and a shout out to fellow Whovians, as he played a hidden incarnation of the Doctor called the War Doctor in Doctor Who. Only appeared in the 50th anniversary special but really owned that role.

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Alien.... That was my first introduction to him and then many many years later Hellboy.

RIP Mr. Hurt.